Create / Define an Event Calendar
For Security information, see Event Calendar Security (Release 5.3.0 and beyond)
The purpose is to establish the general framework to which individual Events can be added. An Event Calendar allows Events to be organized into meaningful, descriptive groupings that help to provide insights into and collaboration about a specific Data Point or range of Data Points.
The Events feature allows a user to see how a Metric's values change based on external occurrences.
A 'System Outages' Event Calendar: Each time a data center problem shuts down a telemarketing center, that occurrence would be recorded on this Event Calendar. If sales 'dip' during the period while service is being restored, the decrease might well be attributed to the loss of computer operations.
A 'Company Holiday' Event Calendar: If all of your operations are suspended on corporate holidays, this calendar is used to record each holiday for an upcoming year. Then, when no sales are made on these holidays, the Event appears on the Charts of all Metrics or Multi-Metrics associated with the Calendar.
1. Access Admin > Event Calendars
The list of calendars previously created in the system opens.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click [+ New Event Calendar]
2. Define the basics
- Create a unique Name your Event Calendar
- Event Owner: By default, the person creating an Event Calendar is automatically designated as an owner; however, you can select any Administrator or Power User for this role.
- Scope limited by: You may apply this Event Calendar to certain groupings of Metrics, including both Un-Dimensioned and Dimensioned, only Un-Dimensioned or to a selected Dimension. This example applies the Event Calendar to any Metric, regardless of Dimension.
- Select one of the options providing an opportunity to quickly determine elements to which this Event Calendar should be applied (NOTE: An option selected in this field influences further configurations):
- Individual Metrics
- Measures: Apply this Event Calendar to all elements that are created to compute the same element entities (for example, Revenue, Sales, Orders, Customers, etc)
- Topics: Allows quickly adding all Metrics combined by a common Topic (for example, Customer Satisfaction, Sales Performance, etc.)
- Categories: You can apply all Events from this Event Calendar to all elements belonging to one or several Categories
5. Choose the method by which the Event Calendar's individual Events are to be collected. For more details see:
Save your entries to proceed with creating of an Event calendar.
3. Define Associated Metrics to which Event Calendar should be applied
- Open the Associated Metrics tab
- Click [+New Category]
- The Add Category pop-up opens
- Select a category from the drop-down list
Save your entry to assign this Event calendar to all Metrics in this Category.
4. Review the Grids
Review the contents of the tables:
- Note that the selected Category appears in the Categories table
- Click the [+ New Category] button to select another Category (repeating the previous step) if necessary
- All Metrics belonging to the added Categories are displayed in the Comprehensive List of Metrics section