Establishing a JDBC Connection
Before you can run any queries, you will need to set up a connection to your data sources.
NOTE: The format of Data Sources is slightly different for Version 3.
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the Data Sources screen click [+ New Data Source]
The Select the Type of New data Source pop-up opens
3. Describe the Connection
- Provide a descriptive Name for the connection
- Type in Username and Password providing access to the database
- Enter the Host Name
- Enter the Database name
- Select a JDBC Driver. The Port number as well as JDBS string are set by default, based on your choice of JDBC Driver. Change it if necessary. NOTE: If you do not see the the driver that you wish to use in the drop-down provided, contact Metric Insights for assistance.
- Optionally, specify the maximum number of concurrent Threads per Trigger execution to be used in background processing when the system updates metrics and reports for this data source. If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded
Save your changes
NOTE: The JDBC string will be created automatically based on your other inputs. In some cases, however, it will not be possible to infer the correct string without additional inputs. If the Connection Test fails, please check the documentation for your JDBC driver.
4. Validate created connection from 'Data Source Editor'
Alternatively, Data Source connection can be also validated from the Data Sources list as shown at the screen below
5. New connection can be found in Data Sources list
Click Test to verify connectivity to the data source
NOTE: The test feature does not currently work for testing connections to Apache Hive
6. Confirm successful validation
If the connectivity is established, the confirmation message appears; click OK to continue
NOTE: It is not possible to directly test Hive connectivity from the connection editor since there is no standard query that can be run against a HiveQL instance. Contact Metric Insights for assistance in validating a HiveQL connection.