Establish connectivity to File Metadata
This article describes the process of creating a plugin Data Source that will allow to collect metadata (information on who created the files or folders and when, the time they were modified, ownership, versions and revisions) to be used in building elements using Metric Insights tools.
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the screen click [+ New Data Source].
The Select the Type of New Data Source pop-up opens.
2. Select "Other" Data Source Type and choose "File Metadata" from the drop-down list
Proceed with creating a Data Source by moving to the Next step.
3. Provide File Metadata Parameters
Specify how to connect to File Metadata. The parameters you need to include are:
- Data Source Name: will default but you may modify it
Root directory location: URL of the directory containing files/folders whose metadata will be collected
- This directory may be located on the MI server or a server where the Remote Data Collector is installed
Loading strategy variable (optional parameter): determines which entity (a single file or a folder/directory) will be used as a Report in File Metadata. You may change the default Value if required. Available values are:
- "dir" (default, denotes a directory)
- "single_file" or "single" (denotes a file)
- Save your entries and Test Connection
If your connection is successful, you may move on to Advanced settings.
4. Advanced Configuration
Use Remote Data Collector: is set to "no" by default
- If required, switch to "yes" and add a Remote Data Collector by clicking [+New Remote Collector] under Remote Collectors settings
Generate Object List
- automatically: all Reports are going to be fetched by the system
- manually: Reports may be added one-by-one or via CSV file
- Object List Refresh Trigger: from the dropdown, select the Trigger that will be used to fetch data via the File Metadata plugin
- Object Selection Method: specify how File Metadata Reports will be fetched
- Optionally, state the maximum number of concurrent Threads to utilize during data and/or image fetch to be used in background processing when the system updates Reports for this Data Source
- If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded
5. Get a list of External Reports
Go to File Metadata Objects tab:
- To obtain a list of File Metadata External Reports, click the [Refresh list] button
6. Other Settings
- You can create Datasets or Elements directly from the respective tabs
- Click Permissions to assign them to Groups or Power Users