Establish Connectivity to IBM Cognos
This article describes how to connect to IBM Cognos server in order to use its reports as Data Sources in Metric Insights.
General instructions on setting up data sources based on plug-ins can be found here.
- The default port for Cognos is 19300. Make sure you open port 19300 to access the Cognos server from Metric Insights server.
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the screen click [+ New Data Source].
The Select the Type of New Data Source pop-up opens.
2. Select "Other" Data Source Type and choose "IBM Cognos" from the drop-down list
3. Provide Required Beckon Parameters
- Server: Define the server protocol (http or https) and a hostname
- A path to finding the Namespace value is defined in Step 3.1
- Cognos URL: provide an endpoint for reaching a login page at the Cognos server
- Username / Password: Note that your Username must be in the same format that your IBM Cognos server uses for authentication
- Save your entries and Test Connection
If your connection is successful, you may move on to Advanced settings.
3.1. About Namespace
At the Cognos server go to My Preferences > Set Preferences screen opens > Personal tab.
4. Advanced Settings
- External Reports fetch method: This setting influences options available in the IBM Cognos Report List tab:
- automatically: just click Refresh list and all Reports are going to be fetched by the system
- manually: Reports may be added one-by-one or via CSV file
- Optionally, specify the maximum number of concurrent Threads per Trigger execution to be used in background processing when the system updates Metrics and Reports for this Data Source. If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded.
5. Other Settings
- You can create elements or Datasets directly from the respective tabs
- Click Permissions to assign them to Groups or Power Users