Establish connectivity to IBM Cognos
This article describes how to connect to a IBM Cognos server and pull in its data and images to Metric Insights.
General instructions on setting up data sources based on plugins can be found here.
- The default port for Cognos is 9300. Make sure you open port 9300 to access the Cognos server from the Metric Insights server.
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the screen, click [+ New Data Source].
2. Select the Type of New Data Source
- Select "Other" Data Source Type and choose "IBM Cognos" from the drop-down list.
- Move to the Next step.
3. Provide Cognos Parameters
- Cognos URL: provide an endpoint for reaching a login page at the Cognos server
- A path to finding the Namespace value is defined in Step 3.1
- Server: define the server protocol (http or https) and a hostname
- Username / Password: note that your Username must be in the same format that your IBM Cognos server uses for authentication
Optionally, add a Folder filter Value that will be used for filtering IBM Cognos Objects
- To do so, click the Edit (Gear) icon in the corresponding field
- Save your entries and Test Connection
If your connection is successful, you may move on to Advanced settings.
3.1. About Namespace
At the Cognos server go to My Preferences > Set Preferences screen opens > Personal tab.
4. Advanced Settings
- Use Remote Data Collector: if required, set to "yes"
Generate Object List
- automatically: all Reports are going to be fetched by the system
- manually: Reports may be added one-by-one or via CSV file
- Object List Refresh Trigger: from the dropdown, select the Trigger that will be used to fetch data via the IBM Cognos plugin
- Object Selection Method: specify how IBM Cognos Reports will be fetched
- Optionally, state the number of Threads to utilize during data and/or image fetch to be used in background processing when the system updates Reports for this Data Source
- If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded
- Multiple dimension values delimiter: optionally, specify the Delimiter for Multiple Dimension Values (Configuring this parameter allows to support fetching aggregate data for several IBM Cognos Filter Values)
- Test Connection (this will also Save your data)
5. Obtain a list of Cognos Reports
- Go to IBM Cognos Objects tab
- To obtain a list of IBM Cognos Reports, click the [Refresh list] button
- If no Folder filter has been specified for Optional Cognos Parameters (as described in Step 3), all Cognos Reports will be fetched into Metric Insights
- Otherwise, only those Reports that satisfy the Filter will be collected for this connection profile
6. Other Settings
- You can create Datasets or Elements directly from the respective tabs.
- Click [Permissions] to assign Permission to Groups or Power Users.