Establish Connectivity to Tibco Spotfire
Follow the steps below to create a new Plug-in Data Source that is required to allow Elements to fetch data and images from Tibco Spotfire objects.
- Before initiating connection to Tibco Spotfire server, enable ports 8081 and 8009
- Tibco Spotfire WebPlayer must be configured
- PhantomJS 2.0.0+ must be installed on the local MI server (to be linked)
- Data can be fetched from Spotfire Table objects only (no graphs)
- Image collection is available for both Table and Graph objects
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the screen click [+ New Data Source].
The Select the Type of New Data Source pop-up opens.
2. Select "Other" Data Source Type and choose "Tibco Spotfire" from the drop-down list
Move to the Next step.
3. Provide the Required Tibco Spotfire Parameters
- Data Source Name: Set a name for the data source or use the default
- Username / Password: Note that your Username must be in the same format that your Tibco Spotfire server uses for authentication
- Web Player Server: Define server IP or hostname plus the port to connect (e.g., :81 (default port))
- Test Connection (this will also Save your data)
4. Advanced Configuration
External Reports fetch method: This setting influences options available in the Tibco Spotfire Reports List tab:
- automatically: just click Refresh list and all Tibco Spotfire objects will be fetched by the system
- manually: Reports may be added one-by-one or via CSV file
- Optionally, specify the maximum number of concurrent Threads per Trigger execution to be used in background processing when the system updates Metrics and Reports for this Data Source. If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded.
5. Other settings
- You can create Elements or Datasets directly from their respective tabs
- Click Permissions to assign them to Groups or Power Users
6. Create spotfire.conf on local MI server
(Note, you may need a unix admin to assist with this if you do not have SSH access yourself.)
- SSH onto the MI server and go to
- Create a spotfire.conf file that is owned by root and set the permissions to 644.
- In spotfire.conf set the path_to_phantom_js variable and point it to where PhantomJS is installed on the server. For example
- Save the file and exit.