Understanding Alert Simulation
You can calculate the number of Alert Notifications that would have been generated based on your historical data. This allow you to adjust the parameters when setting up an Alert to ensure you will the optimum value from your Notifications without excess noise. This simulation works on all types of KPI Alerts including combinations of Alerts. Simulation can be performed on new Alerts as well as existing Alerts.
1. Adjust an Existing Alert (Content > Alerts > KPI Alerts)
- Limit the list by selecting a Metric
- Access the Rule by clicking RULE name from grid
1.2. You can now adjust the Criteria and use Simulate to tailor the number of alerts received as described below.
Example of Simulation for all Dimension values
- Set Alert Criteria - all Alert types, options, and time periods are supported by the Simulation feature
- Set length of Simulation
- Activate the Simulate button
Example of Simulation for a single Dimension
- Choose the Dimension Value by selecting the it from the drop-down.
2. Difference Between "every time" and "first time only"
- Example of Alert sent Everytime condition is met. Extended line under the Alert indicates that an Alert for the same condition was generated every day for that range, so a total of 15 Alerts were issued.
- Example of Alert sent only the first time condition is met. This means that an alert message goes out the first time the alert rule is satisfied but no subsequent alert is sent until it drops below the threshold. If it goes past the threshold again it will trigger 1 alert, and so on. In this example, the number of Alerts is reduced to 5.