Establish Connectivity to Microsoft Power BI Report Server
This article describes how to connect to on-premises Microsoft Power BI Report Server in order to load data into Datasets and Reports in Metric Insights.
- Service version 13.0.15430.58
NOTE: Note: Versions outside of this list may be supported but are not actively tested. If you have an older or newer version, please work with [email protected] so that we understand your requirements.
1. Access Admin > Collection & Storage > Data Sources
The list page containing all data sources available in the system opens.
Below the grid, click [+ New Data Source].
2. Select the Type of New Data Source
- Select "Other" and choose "Microsoft Power BI" from the drop-down list
- [Next Step]
3. Provide Data Source Parameters
- Basic Folder: enter Web Portal's Virtual Directory name (is located under Report Server Configuration Manager > Web Portal URL > Virtual Directory)
- Report Server: provide database endpoint (for SSRS connections)
- Server: provide Web Portal URL
- Username / Plugin Password: provide server credentials
- [Test Connection]
If connection fails to test successfully:
https://<server>/<basic folder>/api/v2.0/mefrom the browser
- enter credentials at prompt
4. Advanced Configuration
Use Remote Data Processor: is set to "no" by default
- You can switch to "yes" and add a Remote Data Processor by clicking [+New Remote Processor] under Remote Processors settings
Generate Object List
- automatically: all Objects are going to be fetched by the system
- manually: Objects may be added one-by-one or via CSV file
- Object List Refresh Trigger: from the dropdown, select the Trigger that will be used to fetch data via the Microsoft Power BI plugin
- Object Selection Method: specify how Microsoft Power BI Report Server Reports will be fetched
- Optionally, state the maximum number of concurrent Threads to utilize during data and/or image fetch to be used in background processing when the system updates Reports for this Data Source
- If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded
- [Test connection] (this will also save your entries)