Prerequisites for Connecting to Microsoft Power BI Cloud
1. Open Access to Power BI Endpoints
Integration with Power BI requires opening the following endpoints:
- app.powerbi.com (port 443)
- *.windows.net (port 443)
- powerbi.microsoft.com (port 443)
- dc.services.visualstudio.com (port 443)
- login.microsoftonline.com (port 443)
- *.office.com (port 443)
These endpoints must be accessible from either the Metric Insights application server, or the Remote Data Collector host.
[Release 6.x]: 'Remote Data Collector' renamed to 'Remote Data Processor'
If your primary aim is to pull images from Power BI, then the endpoints must be accessible from the Metric Inisghts server. Make sure the endpoints are open and proceed to Step 2 below, then skip to Step 5.
The integration is taking place directly from the application server.
If you wish to get data only (or both data and images), then a Remote Data Processor (RDP) must be deployed. The RDP must be installed on a Windows machine that can access the Power BI endpoints listed above.
The integration is taking place on the RDP host machine (Windows).
2. Register an Azure App Representing Metric Insights
To create and register an application, please follow the instructions in Register an Azure AD application to use with Power BI. This creates 'trust' between Power BI and Metric Insights required to embed Power BI content.
2.1. Register your App in Azure
- Go to dev.powerbi.com/apps.
- Sign in with your existing account
- Specify the following:
- Application Name identifies your app in Azure
- Application Type must be set to "Native"
API access: select the following API options:
- Read all datasets
- Read all dashboards
- Read all reports
- Read all workspaces
- Read all Power BI apps
- Click [Register]
- After you register, your Success! message will contain an App ID (that can be copied and stored as needed)
2.2. Access your App in Azure Portal
Having registered your Azure app, access the Azure Portal from https://portal.azure.com/
- Access App registrations
- Access the All applications tab
- Choose your Azure app
3. Install the Remote Data Processor
For steps on how to install the RDP, refer to Configure a Remote Data Processor.
If you are using AD, you may want to run the RDP service as an AD service account:
- Access Services > Metric Insights Data Processor Daemon > Properties > Log On, select AD service account
4. .NET and Excel Adapter Must Be Installed on the RDP Host Machine
- RDP requires .NET FrameWork v4.5 or higher.
- Microsoft Power BI Datasets can only be fetched by the Metric Insights plugin with the corresponding Excel adapter (OLEDB adapter).
When you select Analyze in Excel from the Ellipses menu (the ...) associated with a dataset or report, Power BI creates an .msi file and downloads it from the browser to your computer. Open the downloaded SQL_AS_OLEDB.msi file and install the adapter.
Learn more about Analyze in Excel.
To download the Excel adapter:
- Go to the Ellipses menu
- Click Analyze in Excel
Install the adapter tool as prompted.
5. Create a Power BI Cloud Connection Profile in Metric Insights
Now that you have completed the prerequisites, you are ready to create a connection profile in Metric Insights.
- Follow the steps in Establish Connectivity to Microsoft Power BI Cloud article to complete the integration.