Establish connectivity to Salesforce
This article describes how to connect to Salesforce in order to use their reports as Data Sources in Metric Insights.
General instructions on setting up data sources based on plug-ins can be found here.
Note: Our plugin currently supports functioning with Salesforce Classic UI, so make sure to have user account that is used in the Plugin settings has SalesForce Classic UI enabled on the SalesForce site.
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the screen click [+ New Data Source].
The Select the Type of New Data Source pop-up opens.
2. Select "Other" Data Source Type and choose "Salesforce" from the drop-down list
Move to the Next step.
3. Provide the Required Salesforce Parameters
- Data Source Name: Will default but you may modify it.
- Token: enter the security token provided by salesforce
- Username / Password: Note that your Username must be in the same format that your Salesforce server uses for authentication
- Test connection (this will also save your entries)
4. Advanced Configuration
External Reports fetch method: This setting influences options available in the Salesforce Reports List tab:
- automatically: just click Refresh list and all Reports are going to be fetched by the system
- manually: Reports may be added one-by-one or via CSV file
- Optionally, specify the maximum number of concurrent Threads per Trigger execution to be used in background processing when the system updates Metrics and Reports for this Data Source. If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded.
- You can connect to the Salesforce through proxy server. In order to do that, set the Use Proxy field to 'yes'. For further proxy configuration, see below.
4.1. Configure Proxy Server variables
- Go to Admin > Utilities > Config Variables. The Config Variables page opens
- Filter the page content by the "proxy" keyword in the Filter by name field.
- Define configuration variables related to proxy server:
- PROXY_HOST: Only HTTPS connections are supported
5. Other Settings
- You can create elements or Datasets directly from the respective tabs
- Click Permissions to assign them to Groups or Power Users