Establish Connectivity to Google Sheets (5.3 or later)
This article describes how to connect to Google Sheets in order to load data into Datasets and Reports in Metric Insights.
- Before you use any Google plugin resources, you must have registered your server with Google. See Integrating Metric Insights with Google Services for more information.
- Creating Google Plugin Data Sources in Metric Insights requires the usage of Client Credentials. For details, check Obtaining Client Application Credentials from Google Projects
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the screen click [+ New Data Source].
The Select the Type of New Data Source pop-up opens.
2. Select Type of New Data Source
- Select "Other" and choose "Google Sheets" from the drop-down list
3. Provide the Required Parameters
- Data Source Name is defaulted but you may modify it
- Client ID: enter the Client ID Token for authentication
- Client Secret: input the Client secret
- [Save]: you need to save your settings before you can get the Token
- Click [Get Token]. The token will be provided only for a specific Google account, so the system will prompt you to select the account you want to use.
4. Select your Google Account
On the Google sign-in pop-up, select the account for which the Token will be generated.
5. Allow Access to your Google Account
- Click [Allow]
After accepting access request from Metric Insights, you will be provided with a Token.
6. Advanced Configuration
Having obtained the Token, you can configure Advanced Parameters.
Use Remote Data Collector: is set to "no" by default
- If required, switch to "yes" and add a Remote Data Collector by clicking [+New Remote Collector] under Remote Collectors settings
Generate Object List
- automatically: all Reports are going to be fetched by the system
- manually: Reports may be added one-by-one or via CSV file
- Object List Refresh Trigger: from the dropdown, select the Trigger that will be used to fetch data via the Google Sheets plugin
- Object Selection Method: specify how Google Sheets Reports will be fetched
- Optionally, state the maximum number of concurrent Threads to utilize during data and/or image fetch to be used in background processing when the system updates Reports for this Data Source
- If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded
7. Other Settings
- You can create Datasets or Elements directly from the respective tabs
- Click Permissions to assign permissions to the Data Source to Groups or Power Users
8. Additional Parameters
An additional parameter, numberOfRetries, can be configured for getting objects from Google Sheets.
Access Plugin Config page at https://<hostname>.com/admin/plugin-config/.
The default numberOfRetries = 3.