Alerting for Admin and Power Users
This article describes Alerting after Version 5.1
Only Power Users and Administration User see the New menu.
KPI Alerts Overview
You can create 4 different types of Alert Rules from New Menu > Alert Rule menu
- KPI Alerts are created to show changes occurring in Metrics
- Report Alerts are created to show changes in Reports
- Global Alerts are applied across a broad range of metrics
- Alert Workflows are applied to Alerts to create Managed Alerts - for general information, see Managed Alerting
- New Metric option allows you to create a Metric using the Metric Creation Wizard with the final step being Add alert rules
- Existing Metric option will ask you to select a Metric and then will transfer directly to a series of pop-ups to Add alert rules
1.1. Next step: Basics of KPI Alert Rules
- Select the type of comparison you wish to create
- Determine if you want to 'share' your alert or keep it private
- Wizard will guide you through the steps required to complete the Alert
Note: The Report Alert concept has been improved by building Reports from Datasets and subscribing to Report Notifications.
The Report Alert object will be removed in Metric Insights 6.0
- Select a report - this must be a SnapShot report: one that keeps History.
- Select to receive a Report when any data exists: when data shows a 10% increase based on specific reporting values, such as 'Same Time Last Year'
- Select to receive a Report with specific changes from the prior report: this options allows you to format very detailed alerts based on changes between two report instances
Again, easy-to-understand Wizards will walk you through the steps required, but to see a detailed description link to Report Alert Rules
Global Alerts can be created with any of the KPI Alert choices plus four special alert rules
- The basis for the Stoplight is specific to each Metric based on the settings in Metric Editor / Stoplights tab a
- The Unusual value is determined by setting of Statistical View (# of Standard Deviations) in Metric Editor / Charting tab.
- Best ever and Worst ever values for this Metric
Both of these values are determined individually for each Metric
- Select [+ New Alert Workflow] from list of existing Workflow
- Change the Name to something meaningful
- Add any number of New Status for the Workflow
- Add New Roles as needed
- Save and your Workflow is ready to be used by other Administrators and Power Users: for detail on this, see Apply a Workflow to a KPI Alert Rule
See the Details in Create an Alert Workflow