Create Metric from Tableau
This article provides details on how to create Metric using a Tableau plugin as a data source.
- Establish connectivity to Tableau:
2. For Dimensioned Metrics: First, create a Dimension with values sourced from Tableau
1. Create New Metric
Access New > Metric > Create New
- Select Measured (measurement Interval) that applies to the Element
- Enter a descriptive phrase in Name
- Assign a Category
- [Next: define details]
2. Define Data Collection Details
- Choose Tableau connection profile serving as Data Source
- Set the Data Collection Trigger which is going to initiate updating information in Metric
- Choose Tableau Worksheet that should serve as a basis for Metric
- To pre-filter Tableau data before fetching it, click Manage Filters
- Construct Plugin command listing the data you would like to include into Metric
- Build your query in MIQL syntax OR
- Use Visual Editor. This will automatically validate the command
- Note that Metrics represent time series data, so one of the columns must contain dates.
- [Enable & Publish] to view Metric in Viewer
The query must include the columns, listed in the hint box to the right of the Plugin command field:
- MI dimension (for dimensioned Eelements only);
- Measurement DateTime
- Measurement value
- Entire field names that contain special characters, aggregation, and commas must be enclosed in quotes (single or double).
- It is acceptable to enclose all fields and values in quotes.
[…] + Notation is used to signify that the MIQL parts of a statement are optional/can be repeated.