Establish Connectivity to Tableau Server
This article describes how to connect to a Tableau Server in order to load data into Datasets in Metric Insights.
- Connectivity to Tableau server. Follow instructions in Prerequisites for connecting to Tableau server
- If Tableau is inaccessible because it is behind a firewall or for other reasons, then you will need to Establish Connectivity to Tableau via a Remote Data Processor
- Tableau 2020.4
- Tableau 2020.3
- Tableau 2020.2
- Tableau 2020.1
NOTE: Versions outside of this list may be supported but are not actively tested. If you have an older or newer version, please work with firstname.lastname@example.org so that we understand your requirements.
For information on using trusted auth on Tableau server, refer to this article.
For general information on creating a plugin-based Data Source, refer to this article.
With the release of Version 6.2.1, .conf files are no longer required for advanced configuration in Metric Insights. It is recommended to use the Plugin Config page to adjust parameters and their values. See this article for more details.
1. Create New Data Source
Access Admin > Collection & Storage > Data Sources
- [+New Data Source]
- Choose Tableau from the Other drop-down list
- [Next Step]
2. Complete the Required Parameters
- Name the connection
- Specify the URL to your Tableau server
- Provide the Tableau Site ID
- Enter the Username and Plugin Password that you use to log in to the Tableau server (this must be a Local account)
3. Define Optional Tableau Parameters
You can edit any values in the Optional Tableau Parameters grid by clicking the gear icon in the corresponding row:
To get the detailed description for each Parameter, see Tableau Parameters (Mandatory and Optional)
4. Configure Advanced Settings
Advanced Configuration settings can be set to default values unless Data Source requires more precise tuning. For more details on how to proceed, refer to Advanced Data Source Configuration.
[Test Connection] in the upper right corner