Establish Connectivity to Tableau Server via Remote Data Processor
This article describes how to connect to the Tableau Server in order to use Tableau reports as data sources in Metric Insights. If your Tableau Server is accessible from your Metric Insights server over the network, this is most likely the best solution. General instructions for establishing a Data Source based on a plugin can be found here. Specific settings for this approach follow.
Prerequisites to creating a connection with Tableau server are described in this article.
If your Tableau Server is accessible over the network from your Metric Insights server, you can connect to Tableau Server directly.
[Release 6.x]: 'Remote Data Collector' renamed to 'Remote Data Processor'
With the release of Version 6.2.1, .conf files are no longer required for advanced configuration in Metric Insights. It is recommended to use the Plugin Config page to adjust parameters and their values. See this article for more details.
- [+New Data Source]
- Select Other Data Source Type
- Choose Tableau from the drop-down list
- [Next step]
- Name your connection
- Provide the URL to your Tableau server to access it online
- Specify Site ID required for Online access
- Enter the regular Username and Password that you use to log in to the Tableau server
You can edit any values in the Optional Tableau Parameters grid by clicking the gear icon in the corresponding row:
To get full description of each parameter, refer to Tableau Parameters (Mandatory and Optional).
- Set Use Remote Data Processor to "yes" to open the Remote Collectors section
- [+New Remote Processor]
- Name the Remote Processor
- Input your Remote Agent Username
- Enter your remote agent Id
- Provide your remote agent password
- Input email address for notifications
- Download the Insightd Zip File, extract the contents, and install Insightd
General instructions on installing Insightd on Windows servers can be found here.
Once you have installed Insightd on your Tableau server, you will need to start the Metric Insights Daemon.
Click [Start] and then open the Services panel