Options for Fetching Tableau Workbooks
Apart from embedding external Tableau reports into Metric Insights, you can create new Metrics and Reports using data from Tableau Reports (often referred to as 'Views'). A list of reports may be 'stored' within a Tableau Data source and can be collected manually (via CSV file), automatically or even on the fly (while creating a respective report).
Establish connectivity with Tableau:
[Release 6.x]: 'Remote Data Collector' renamed to 'Remote Data Processor'
Challenge: Fetch the list of Tableau Reports to create new elements with them
After creating a Tableau plugin and successfully connecting to your Tableau server, go to Admin > Data Sources > select the plugin you have created > open Tableau Reports List tab. You will find out that this list is empty, but in order to create new elements and for using Tableau as a data source, you need actual data.
This list should contain paths to Tableau Workbooks and Views that should serve as sources of information for creating new Reports and Metrics in Metric Insights. This list can be extracted:
[Option 1] Automatic Fetch of Tableau reports
If you prefer to fetch the list of all reports that you currently have in Tableau:
- Open the Tableau plugin account you have created and go to the Info tab.
- Move to the Advanced Data Source Configuration section below the parameters list and set the External Reports fetch method field to 'automatically' and Save your changes.
- Move to Tableau Reports List tab.
- Click Refresh list.
Result: The list of reports is going to be automatically populated.
[Option 2] Manual Fetch Tableau reports
You can populate the list of external reports one-by-one or via a CSV file. For more information refer to: Populate a Data Source with an uploaded List of Reports
[Option 3] Defining Tableau report 'on the fly' in Metric / Report Editors
If the Tableau Report (View) is not defined in the Plugin list of Reports, you can manually add it right in the Report / Metric Editor.
Here is more information on creating each type of element:
- Create a Metric with data fetched from Tableau
- Create an External Report with data fetched from Tableau
- Create a Dimension with Values collected from Tableau
How to add a report on the fly:
- Once you reach the Tableau Worksheet field, you are not limited to the options available in the drop-down list. Click Select Tableau Worksheet.
- In the opened pop-up click the Plus button.
- The Add External Report pop-up opens.
- Copy the [Workbook name]/[View name] for the Tableau view from your Tableau URL.
- Save your entry.