Create External Report from Tableau
This article will show you how to create an External Report that displays data from your Tableau server.
[6.1.1] If your External Report Viewer is displaying duplicate Filters based on your BI Tool defaults, your Admin can reset the default behavior to remove the Metric Insights filters from Viewer display. Refer to How to Omit Filters from External Reports.
1. Create New External Report
- NOTE: If there is no Tableau Report Type in the list, you can create one by following instructions in this article: Create a New External Report Type
- You can customize Tableau toolbar and tabs display under the Advanced tab (this will pass these parameter settings to URLs) instead of editing External Report Type.
Just leave Viewer URL append and External URL append fields blank and customize External Reports the way your organization requires (see the screen below).
Access New >External Report > Tableau
- Provide a descriptive phrase in Name
- Specify Category where External Report will be placed
- Define whether content has to be updated manually or automatically
- For "Automatically Collected", specify Report Image Trigger
- Choose Tableau Plugin Connection Profile
- Select Tableau worksheet (Object) for External Report
- [Next: define details]
2. Specify Report Details
Show Report in defaults to "External Webpage".
- For "Viewer", select Show "In iframe" or "As static image" option
- NOTE: when opting to display your Report as a Static Image, make sure you Collect Image before going to Viewer.
- Before fetching data, you can pre-filter it via [Manage Filters]. See Pre-Filtering Tableau Data (Dataset Example)
- [6.2.5] Under [Manage Filters], you can toggle on Retrieve Filter Names from Tableau. The system will auto-collect all available Tableau filters.
- Optionally, [Edit URL] to modify the URL by appending a question mark (?) followed by any filter or parameter settings
- Optionally, [Test External Report] to test how your Report will be displayed on External Webpage or in Viewer, depending on the display option selected in the previous step
- Select Report Image option:
- "Always collect all instances of external report": collect all images and cache them on a schedule
- "On Demand: only when needed for distribution": individual images are only collected when they need to be included in an email
3. Collect Image and Publish
Tableau Plugin collects images by communicating with the tool via API.
- [Collect Image]
- [Enable & Publish] to proceed to Viewer