Establish Connectivity to Tableau Server Online
This article describes how to connect to the Tableau Server in order to use Tableau reports as data sources in Metric Insights. If your Tableau Server is accessible from your Metric Insights server over the network, this is most likely the best solution. General instructions for establishing a Data Source based on a plug-in can be found here. Specific settings for this approach follow.
Prerequisites to creating a connection with Tableau server are described in this article.
[Release 6.x]: 'Remote Data Collector' renamed to 'Remote Data Processor'
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
Start by adding a new Data Source.
2. Select "Other" Data Source Type and choose "Tableau" from the drop-down
- Select Other Data Source Type
- Choose Tableau from the drop-down list
- Move to the Next step
3. Complete the required parameters
- Data Source name: The system creates a default name, but we recommend changing it to a descriptive name of your choice, especially if you plan to create several connection profiles for different sites
- Tableau Server: Provide the URL to your Tableau server to access it online
- Site ID: Required for Online access
- Enter the regular Username and Password that you use to log in to the Tableau server
- Test connection to view any errors in Required Parameters section
If necessary, open the sections below to enter Optional Parameters and Advanced Configuration.
4. Add/Change the Optional Tableau Parameters
Open the section by clicking the arrow
The following parameters need to be set as shown for Online access:
- Set Force refresh cache to 'false'
- Set User Custom Views to 'false'
To get full description of each parameter, refer to Tableau Parameters (Mandatory and Optional).
5. Adjust Advanced Configuration information as needed
- For details on using a Remote Data Collector, please see Establish Connectivity to Tableau via a Remote Data Collector
- Metric Insights extracts data from the Tableau server in the form of reports. Information obtained from these external reports is further used as data source for MI elements: Metrics and Reports. Tableau reports can be added in the Plugin Editor:
- Automatically: If the External Reports fetch method field is set to 'automatically', go to the Tableau Reports List tab and simply click Refresh list to collect all Tableau reports currently available at the server.
- Manually: You can also update the Tableau reports list by adding report IDs and Names one-by-one or specified in the CSV file.
6. Additional options now available
Using the other tabs, you can:
- You can update, refresh or manually add Reports to the Reports List (depending on fetch method selected)
- You can create new elements using this Data Source directly from the Elements tab
- You can assign Permissions to Groups or Power Users