Create a Category
Categories are used to group tiles at the Homepage. By default, all new elements are assigned to the Uncategorized Category.
- A Sales organization might use: Sales, Orders, Leads, Customers.
- A Hotel Chain might use: Guests, Properties, Conventions, Corporate Clients.
This article is based on the assumption that you are creating your first Category. Categories will be most helpful if their title represents a meaningful grouping of information that all users can understand.
1. Access Content > Categories
- The list of Categories previously created in the system opens.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click [+ New Category].
2. Provide basic Category information
- Category name: should be descriptive and meaningful to your organization. A Sales organization might use: Sales, Orders, Leads, Customers, etc.
- If the Category being created is a subcategory, select the Parent Category from the drop-down list. If it is an independent Category, leave this field empty.
- Business Owner: may be any User.
- Technical Owner / Sort Order set by: must be either Admin or Power User.
Save to access the full Category Editor.
Categories with non-unique names can be created in one of the following ways:
- Identical subcategories can be created for different categories. In the example above, both 'Financial' and 'Revenue' categories have identical subcategories ('Monetization' and 'Customer Activity')
- An unlimited number of subcategories with non-unique names can be created at different levels of hierarchy.
NOTE: Categories/subcategories are shown at the Homepage once at least one element is added there.
- [6.1.0] As of Release 6.1.0, it is possible to flag elements and then Migrate Content using our Export/Import Migration Scripts. Click for details: Scripted Migration via Category and Element Editors
- [5.6.1] To see how to use Custom Access Denied messages, see Custom Access Requests for External Reports
At the top right corner of the screen click Permissions. The Category Permissions pop-up opens.
3.1. Add Group/User access permission for this Category
NOTE: Once a Category is created, no Users or User Groups have access to it.
- User Groups can be granted access rights in this section
- In the User Access section specific Users can be granted access permission to this Category
- All Users (added via a Group or individually via User Access function) with permission to access Category are shown in this section. This section is purely informative and cannot be edited.
3.2. Add Group/User access to the Category
The procedure for adding permission to access a Category is identical both for Users and Groups.
Complete the associated pop-up:
- Select a Group from the drop-down list; all members of this Group will be granted automatic view access to this Category
- Optionally, grant the Group conditional edit permission to Power User members for the Category. According to this permission, those users, who have respective privileges, should get edit access to the elements in this Category. For more information, see Assign Power User Edit Access
Save and repeat as necessary.
Assign elements to this Category in the Report / Metric Editor > Info tab > Category field.
4.1. Define Element Visibility for this Category
Once the Category is created, it contains no elements. After elements are added, you can make all elements of this category either 'visible' or 'invisible'.
- Return to the Category Editor > Elements tab
- Click Change element visibility
- The Change Element Visibility pop-up opens
- Choose whether all elements from this Category should be either 'visible' or 'not visible' at the Homepage.
- Click Apply Changes for new settings to come into effect.