6.4.0 is out! We are happy to introduce an upgrade to MySQL 8.0.28, Sticky Filters for Power BI Reports (a big deal for Power BI-based use-cases), extended Search capabilities, new Plugins, and much more. As usual, our team is working hard to bring the product to the next level. Keep reading to learn more.
Major Features in 6.4.0 (released November 17, 2022)
- We have upgraded to MySQL 8.0.28 to better accommodate Amazon RDS-based deployments (Amazon is forcing upgrades in some AWS regions) and to update our technology stack.
- Sticky/Global Filters Inside Power BI Cloud Reports have been designed to automatically re-apply Metric Insights filters between Power BI Cloud Reports. This a major "quality of life" improvement that will make it faster and easier to on-board new External Reports.
- For the last several versions, we have supported search of external content within Metric Insights (wherein content is available through Global Search, but not as Tiles in the Catalog). Now, our security model allows that content to be restricted to certain Users or Groups.
- Microsoft Purview and Adobe Workfront Plugins have been added to our Plugins list.
- Our ServiceNow Plugin has been updated.
The primary Docker images used for standard deployments are:
- web – docker.metricinsights.com/metric-insights/release_6_4/5
- dataprocessor – docker.metricinsights.com/dataprocessor/release_6_4/21855
- seed – docker.metricinsights.com/seed/release_6_4/39938
- data-analyzer – docker.metricinsights.com/data-analyzer/release_6_4/4
- monitoring – docker.metricinsights.com/monitoring/release_6_4/978
- logger (needed for simple deployments) – docker.metricinsights.com/logger/release_6_4/25
- mysql (used for simple deployments with mysql running locally) – docker.metricinsights.com/mysql/release_6_4/25
Major Features in 6.4.0a (released January 11, 2023)
- Chromium and ChromeDriver have been upgraded to v108.
- The current version of Axios library for monitoring service is now v0.21.2.
- SharePoint Plugin has been modified to also work with the Sites.Selected Application permission for Client Credential Auth Type in case enabling the Sites.Read.All permission is restricted.
- Microsoft Purview Plugin now offers the possibility to limit the number of Objects that are pulled to the system by using new Optional Parameters – Object type, Classification, and Parent term filters.
- A known issue with LDAP usersync producing empty values for Group names has been fixed in this release.
- Data indexation process has been improved to provide better search results when a search term is a concatenated word (e.g.,"smoketest").
- The release also includes major indexation and search speed speed optimizations.
- In Search Setup, Datasets created for user access restriction that contained more then 100 thousand records were applying only the first 100 thousand of user permissions. This was resulting in empty search result pages for some users, but the issues has been resolved.
- This release introduces additional security measures and optimizations against Cross-Site Request Forgery and Cross-Site Scripting.
- The new
element_infoAPI endpoint has been created for Regular Users.
- We have extended possibilities of the
dataset_dataAPI endpoint by adding the possibility to pass Filters.
The primary Docker images used for standard deployments are:
- web – docker.metricinsights.com/metric-insights/release_6_4/14
- dataprocessor – docker.metricinsights.com/dataprocessor/release_6_4/26959
- seed – docker.metricinsights.com/seed/release_6_4/39942
- data-analyzer – docker.metricinsights.com/data-analyzer/release_6_4/10
- monitoring – docker.metricinsights.com/monitoring/release_6_4/994
- logger (needed for simple deployments) – docker.metricinsights.com/logger/release_6_4/27
- mysql (used for simple deployments with mysql running locally) – docker.metricinsights.com/mysql/release_6_4/28
- If enabled under My Settings, for Power BI Cloud, the system can remember Filter selections across tabs in the same External Report, as well as pass filter selections to other External Reports. Reports must be embedded and viewed as Metric Insights External Reports for this to work.
- Under My Settings, users can now choose to preserve their filter choices even after they log out.
Report link catalogs loaded into Datasets in Metric Insights can be searchable in the system. Access to these links can be restricted based on User or Group selection on the Search Setup Page of the specific Dataset. On top of that, users cannot delete Datasets that are involved in Search Setup and are used as Group/User access control lists in Search Setup.
- Version Identifiers are now recalculated for both Portal Pages and Templates after import.
- Portal Pages and Templates are matched by
internal_nameupon import. If the match on this pair is not successful, objects will be matched by
internal_nameonly. Neither object update nor import operation won't be successful, if any Page or Template with the same name exists on a target system.
- Migration Tool is now using a single database connection for logging and working with data instead of two different ones, which was causing issues with the rollback operation.
- The application can display the Client Secret expiration date in Power BI Data Source Editors when OAuth is used as Auth Type. When the application fails to retrieve the expiration date, users will see a warning message upon connection test.
- The optional parameter Client secret value has been renamed to Secret id to avoid confusion.
- A list of columns and tables can be fetched with DAX.
- Metadata for APPLICATION and DATASET object types has been updated with the following fields:
last_data_refresheddisplaying the date/time when the Application has been published;
createddisplaying the date/time when the Dataset data has been refreshed.
- Chromium and ChromeDriver version compatibility is checked upon testing Data Source connection and External Report image collection. The information can be viewed in
Tableau Plugin supports getting PDFs for Workbooks in External Reports.
- Microsoft Purview Plugin has been added to further support our Data Governance efforts.
- Adobe Workfront Plugin has been introduced in this release. The plugin supports pulling data.
- ServiceNow Plugin has been optimized and updated for better performance.
Other Plugin Improvements
- Azure Analysis Services Plugin now provides the ability to authenticate with OAuth.
- Qlik Sense Plugin now offers support for proxies.
- In this release, aside from Tableau, getting PDFs is also supported by ThoughSpot and TIBCO Spotfire.
- With the new optional parameter, Retrieve empty folders, Local Filesystem Plugin can return folders without files.
- MicroStrategy Cube Plugin has been moved to REST API.
- QlikView and OleDB logs are now delivered to one central location, the logs folder.
- The system provides better messaging when Data Collector is not compatible with a given Plugin.
In preparation for upcoming functionality that allows a Portal Page to be use as mobile application (available in v3.4 of the mobile application), we've introduced a new MOBILE_APP_PORTAL_PAGE System Variable. The Portal Page internal name (“Name used in URL") is used to define which Portal Page is launched through our mobile app. Once this link has been made, users won’t be able to change/edit the Page's internal name. To change it, the System Variable Value must be removed first.
- Dataset Column Display Mask is now applied when mapped to Dataset Report Text Box Variable.
A new setting, Do not send Burst to user if an image is missing for any included Tile, has been included to the Customize tab of the Burst Editor to control whether the system will send a Burst in case it does not contain images.
- We have implemented the ability to add Glossary Terms in Autosync without removing existing Terms.
- The system no longer requires Definition and Description to be mapped in a Glossary Term Import. These fields are optional when defining mapping.
- Hyperlinks configured as Custom Field Values now open in a new browser tab by default.
- Custom Field Values accept such special characters as apostrophes ( ' ).
For user convenience, Content Center download files now include a KPI chart/metric name in a filename they represent.
- The new System Variable, MOBILE_EXTERNAL_CONTENT_FILE_SIZE_MAX, controls the maximum External Content file size that can be displayed on Mobile. In case External Content file size exceeds the maximum size, the system can show a custom message that is defined by the new MOBILE_EXTERNAL_CONTENT_FILE_SIZE_MESSAGE System Variable.
- From now on, the System Variable ENABLE_ADVANCED_PORTAL_PAGES defaults to “Y”.
New APIs were implemented to show externally-linked Reports clicked by a user from Search and MI Elements viewed by a user from Homepage and Viewers in the last 60 days.
DevOps & Installation
- The default MySQL version has been updated to 8.0.28.
- Versions of packages and components are now controlled more strictly, the application will not launch in case of version mismatch.
- Amazon ECS Terraform deployment have been updated with a new parameter
--efs-idwhich specifies EFS volume id to mount into Metric Insights as a network shared folder.
- Custom Attributes are supported in
- The parameter
--username-max-lengthhave been removed from
- We have removed 1010data Plugin from Metric Insights.
- For Windows-based RDPs we will now check for Java 11, the minimum required version.
- ChromeDriver has been upgraded to version 107.
- We have implemented garbage collection for table
intermediate_page_run_logthat holds run information for collected images from Power BI to automatically control its size.
- When creating an MSSQL Data Storage, the data upload type defaults to
- Previously, SQL Server Datasets that contained :measurement_time were failing to validate data. This issue has been resolved.
- Issues with downloading files larger than 12MB from SharePoint have been resolved by changing data type from
external_files_cachetable of the database.
- The issue with DAX queries returning the 400 error code for Power BI has been fixed.
- The issue when Users could access the Homepage from the custom domain URL by appending /home has been resolved.
- The Element Preview panel and Custom Field Names in particular have been made non-interactive and they no longer open Element Viewers. This has been implemented to avoid confusion when a Custom Field Value is a hyperlink.
- The issue with the popup that is controlled by the “Pre-verify User Access through Tableau API” setting of the Report Type Editor not showing in Burst Editors has been fixed. This was causing confusion about why clicking on Element Tiles from Burst Editor was not opening External Reports.
- Setting Custom Field Value to block ability to print, email, and download did not function in Element Viewers in case the Custom Field was set to be not visible in Element Viewers. It is now working properly.
- Upon import of a Portal Page and Template, all Assets are now imported and correctly associated with the Template to which they belong, without disrupting Assets for any other Portal Page Template.
- The error returned while refreshing Tableau Reports in the Bulk Add External Reports list that was caused by the MI Workbook parser has been resolved.
- Last Refreshed in Tableau is correctly displayed on Tile hover and in Viewers. The problem seemed to only arise when Workbook names included spaces or were more complicated than a single string of text with no spaces.
- Embedding issues with Grids used as MicroStrategy External Report Objects have been fixed by changing the default value for
ViewModefrom “0” to “1” for URL Templates.
- We have addressed the problem when the “Drill to” link was not displayed for Power Users in Dataset Report Viewers unless they had Edit access to an Element.
- Getting Metadata and Object has been failing for SharePoint Plugin with the timeout error. The error is no longer present in the system.
- Restoring a child sub-Folder is not possible if the name of the parent Folder has changed.
- Upon LDAP usersync, empty values can be produced for Group names in some cases. Contact our support for a patch file at [email protected].