We have been tirelessly working on new features, UX improvements, and enhanced security for our first two releases of 2022 (6.3.2 in February, followed by 6.3.2a about one month later). v6.3.2 includes new features such as Global (aka Sticky) Filters, support for multiple Brands, and File Groups (available in 6.3.2a). You'll also find additional improvements, including Publishing Workflows, Custom Fields, Search, our Plugins, and Bursts.
In light of the log4j CVE from December 2021, you can rest easy — the JDBC drivers we ship with are not exposed to any log4j vulnerabilities. For more details, see Metric Insights not affected by log4j vulnerability CVE-2021-44228
Below is an extensive list of JDBC drivers that:
- are on the latest driver available
- have the upgraded version of log4j, v.2.17
- are no longer shipped with the product.
NOTE: JDBC drivers can be added at any time, see Add a New JDBC Driver (v6.1+).
|1. On the latest driver:||2. Upgraded:||3. Removed from MI:|
Major features in 6.3.2 (released February 16, 2022)
- Publishing Workflows have become easier to configure and use. Several noticeable UI changes, in combination with Security improvements, have made using both Publishing Workflow Editor and Publishing Workflow Board to ensure a more smooth and enjoyable experience.
- Multiple Brands are now available to configure on one instance using the same domain. You can customize the look and feel of the interface based on Groups assigned to a Brand.
- Global (aka Sticky) Filters have been designed for a more personalized interaction with Metric Insights. When enabled, your Filter and Dimension Value selections can persist across all Element Viewers. In other words, selecting Country: Canada in on one Element and moving to another will pre-select Canada if the same filter/value pair exists.
- Custom Field options have been expanded to include "Email" and "Date/time". Mapping aliases can simplify synchronization of Custom Fields with other systems, specifically with Microsoft SharePoint.
- Feedback Prompts can be configured by Power Users with the associated Privilege and force-triggered from Element Viewers.
- External Filters for our Domo Plugin allow users to focus on the desired slice of data fetched from Domo.
Features in 6.3.2a (released March 22, 2022)
This minor release introduces File Groups, several improvements to Import/Export, a couple of small product enhancements, and bug fixes:
With File Groups enabled for Other External Content, Metric Insights will not be displaying a separate Tile for every instance of the same file, for example a file that is being changed or updated on a daily basis. You can have a single Tile with multiple versions of the file aka a group of files.
The File Group approach works based on folders that exist on the Microsoft SharePoint or the user's local file system side by mirroring them and their contents. These folders will then appear in the system as File Groups with the most recent files at the top.
The new System Variable, MIGRATE_ELEMENT_CHANGES_WITH_FOLDER_DEFAULT, has been added. It determines if the "Apply updates to included elements when migrating Folder to target system" option is enabled when users are adding Folders to the Export Package List by default. The checkbox controls whether or not Elements that exist at a target location will be updated during Export.
- We have added a new option in External Report Type Editors, "Display Tabs Pane", with settings "left" and "bottom" to make it possible to preserve tab display format for Power BI embedding.
- "Last Updated" for Other External Content Tile Hovers and Previews has been replaced by "File Last Modified" to avoid user confusion.
- [Android] Previously, graphs on Metrics used the "minimum" as the bottom line. Now users can also configure y-axis to start form zero.
- If a User does not have the "Create Data Source" Privilege, they now can Refresh Object List via API.
- The Content Center's Engagement area now displays correct Tile counts when a Power User is using the Behavior page.
- An issue wherein excessive memory consumption in the data-analyzer-sync process (specifically in the Data Analyzer container) could cause long-lasting index updates, has been fixed.
- When duplicating Portal Page Templates, changing "Repository URL" on the duplicated Portal Page Template was also changing this field's value of the original Template. This has been fixed.
The primary Docker images used for standard deployments are:
- web - docker.metricinsights.com/metric-insights/release_6_3/175
- dataprocessor - docker.metricinsights.com/dataprocessor/release_6_3/18
- seed - docker.metricinsights.com/seed/release_6_3/9
- data-analyzer - docker.metricinsights.com/data-analyzer/release_6_3/41
- monitoring - docker.metricinsights.com/monitoring/release_6_3/41
- logger - docker.metricinsights.com/logger/release_6_3/41
- mysql - docker.metricinsights.com/mysql:release_6_3
- Clicking the "View" button provides easy navigation from the Publishing Workflow Editor to the associated Board in Content Center
- If a Power User has Edit Access to a Stage, they can access the Stage Editor directly from the Publishing Board.
- Unavailable in previous versions but added in 6.3.2, when hovering over their names, Stages display a tooltip with a full Stage description.
- With On Stage Change specified, Automation Rule execution can be triggered by moving content from "Any Stage", not just a specific one.
- If a Power User with Edit Access clicks a Tile on the Content Center, a Short Editor popup opens.
- We have added the capability to make External Reports discoverable directly from a Short Editor om Publishing Board.
- A new automation option is available in Publishing Workflow Editor. When "Auto-select the next Workflow Stage when opening the Move/Assign popup dialog" is checked, the next Stage to which a User moves content will be auto-selected.
- Editable fields now have a more explicit representation in a Short Editor EditorEditor; they are displayed in bold.
- To make it easier to review assignments for a particular user in Content Center, the Assignee selection persists across Publishing Boards.
Global Filtering is a way to automatically "remember" and apply Filter and Dimension values across Element Viewers. As you view Elements and set Dimensions or Filters, these same values will be applied to subsequently viewed elements without having to repeat these settings.
This capability can be activated for the system under My Settings > "Remember my filter selections across tiles".
Available under Admin > System > Branding, Brand is a new object with its own Editor. Brands allow for flexible and diverse customization of the system appearance. A Brand is associated with one or more Groups, with no dependencies on a domain, as was previously implemented in older versions. One Brand only can be assigned to Groups from Brand Editors (Admins only) or via the Group Editors (Admins or Power Users).
Admins can create as many Brands for one instance as needed, each with its own:
- Catalog Tab Label
- Catalog Tab Icon
- Email From Names
- Header and Footer Images
In addition, Branding is also applied to notifications; e.g., Favorites, Bursts, and Alerts.
Portal Pages and API
- We have added the new Variables tab to the Portal Page Templates, making it easier to switch between code and variables without scrolling up/down.
- Portal Page/Portal Page Templates’ Assets can now be edited and deleted.
- The system now includes the possibility to customize Portal Page with an icon on the Portal Page list page.
- Feedback Prompts can now be added for Portal Pages.
- Portal Page Variables can be instantiated via text files from the Variables tab in the Portal Page Editor.
- The Variable List now supports the following elements:
- Portal Page
- We are now extracting Tableau LUIDs from reference and rollup metadata and stor them in Dashboard DB as alternative_external_id in separate tables.
- Users can create Datasets from Microsoft SharePoint Plugin. This requires enabling the "Include SharePoint Lists" Optional Parameter in the Data Source Editor.
- The Custom Fields Sync History popup includes a new option that allows users to filter by Custom Filed Sync status.
- In the initial implementation of Domo Plugin, we supported only embedding of Cards. Now it is possible to embed Dashboards as well.
- The Plugin also supports image capture and External Filters.
Other Plugin Improvements
- We have implemented the ability to skip Excel Worksheet collection for Local Filesystem Plugin, just like we do for Microsoft SharePoint Plugin.
- SAP Analytics Cloud supports working via proxy.
- Custom certificates for IBM Cognos can be added to
/opt/mi/ssl/jvmdirectory in the
dataprocessorcontainer to persist during system updates.
- Two new options, "Email" and "Date/time", are available to configure as Custom Fields.
- An email address specified by a user becomes an active mailto: link.
- For "Date/time", the Field creator can specify a display mask to limit the date and time format to a specific one.
- A new setting within Visible in has been added, "Request Access Dialog". It will be displayed after clicking Discoverable content via Catalog/Homepage and will allow a user to see a blurred image and basic metadata as well as request access to content.
- "Users" is moved from Value Source to Field is section for consistency.
- In Custom Field Editor, there is a new Advanced section with a new "Set custom alias for mapping (used for synchronization with other systems)" setting. This was designed to simplify mapping between Custom Field names in third-party tools and Metric Insights since there may be differences in names among the two systems.
- View Access to Custom Fields can now be controlled on a Group level. Specific Groups can be assigned on the Groups tab in Custom Field Editor.
- Users can trigger Feedback Prompts by clicking "Give Feedback" from Element Viewers.
- New columns, "Prompt After", "Prompt Max", and "Prompt Again", to the Feedback Prompts list Page present more configuration parameters.
- The Element Feedback tab includes an option to filter Feedback Prompt submissions by Group and display total number of prompts pushed.
- All Filters on the Engagement Tab under Content Center > Engagement are multi-select.
- We have introduced a new more accurate approach to counting Engagement events. Find more details in Track Engagement via Content Center.
- There is a new Portal Page level on the Behavior Tab under Content Center > Engagement in order to enhance understanding of users and how they interact with a Page.
- In a Feedback Prompt Editor, there is a new "Save & Enable" button for Prompts that are currently disabled.
- When creating a new Feedback Prompt for Selected Page, users can choose a specific Portal Page from a drop-down list of options.
Data Analyzer, the main component that is responsible for the Search functionality, has been improved. The majority of changes shorten the search index update times. There is no visible difference to users, but the back-end architecture is enhanced.
- Users can access Element Editors directly form Burst Editor by clicking the edit icon next to the Tile name.
- Burst List page includes a new option for filtering by Status, "Enabled Bursts".
External Reports and External Content
- We have implemented some UI and UX changes to External Report Editor. For example, on the object selector, the file path is clipped from the beginning so the end of the file path with file name is visible. Some of the button colors have been modified for better representation.
- UX-related changes have also been implemented on the Other External Content Editor. When creating or editing Other External Content, there is an edit icon for Plugins to make access to the Plugin Data Source Editor and a plus icon to create a new Source to simplify aces to other pages.
- Metric Insights can generate a PNG preview image for Word and PowerPoint files used as objects for Other External Content. Previews are available for:
- Homepage Tiles
- Tile Previews
- Burst images
- ENABLE_EMAIL_TRACKING has been added under the Email Customization section. It enables email tracking for Bursts. It is not recommended to enable this Variable given that Metrics collected are often misreported due to email client behavior beyond our control.
- When enabled, IMPORT_ACCEPT_DIFFERENT_VERSIONS removes restriction that the source (export) and target (import) system must be the same Metric Insights version.
- We have added a new announcement endpoint for creating and updating of Announcements.
- The ability to reset an Announcement by setting Actions to “Clear Dismiss” has been implemented.
If an Announcement has Visible to Groups set on the Announcement Editor > Content tab, a Groups tab is provided where the Admin or Power User can use the + Assign Group button to see a a revised popup that allows multi-select of Groups that can see the Announcements. There is also a new a search field above the grid on this Groups tab. See Announcement Security for more details.
We have provided a new Privilege that "Allows a Power User to access the API Toolkit in order to execute test requests against an API created by an Admin" that can be assigned to a Group or individual Power User. The Power User (PU) sees a new menu item and can use an assigned Toolkit but cannot create a new one. See API Security.
We have the ability to control Regular and Power User View Access to a selected Custom Field on a Element Preview/Viewer, Dataset Viewer, and other objects that include the Custom Field.
Power Users continue to have an implied Privilege to create an Event Calendar and grant access to Groups to which the PU belongs or that the PU created or to individual users who are members of these Groups. An Extended Security Privilege, "Allow Power Users to grant Event Calendar access to any User or Group", that allows a PU to grant access to any Group or User has been added.
Group and User Editors > Power User tab have grids showing Event Calendars to which Permission has been granted. For Regular Users only, Event Calendar grids are displayed on the "Other Access" tab. Event Calendar Editors have a Permissions button to grant Edit or "Use" Access (ability to manage the Calendar's Events if sourced manually). See Security article for more information.
There is a new basic Privilege "Create Feedback Prompt" for Power Users to allow them to edit the text associated with a Feedback Prompt. See Feedback Prompt Security for details.
- On the Elements List Page, we added the ability to reassign Publishing Workflows (PW) to those elements that are associated with a PW.
- On the Publishing Workflows List page list, if a Power User has Use Access to a Publishing Workflow but does not have the Use Content Center Privilege:
- User does not have a Content Center entry in the Content menu
- When a user with the Create Publishing Workflow Privilege accesses the Publishing Workflow List page from the Content menu and clicks the View link in the last column
- Publishing Board opens
- The Workflow to which the User has View Access is visible on the Publishing Board
- The system now includes a new "Portal Page Templates" Section on the Editors' Power Users tab to allow Permissions to be granted. Previously, Permissions could only be granted on a Template's editor.
- The three Portal Page grids have been relocated to the "Power Users" tab for Power Users and Groups. Regular Users > Other Access tab has one grid for shared Portal Pages, but no "Power Users" tab.
- A new Privilege "Display the Dataset Views Menu to Regular Users" is required for Regular Users to see a "Views" entry in the Content menu; without the Privilege, this option cannot be found in the Menu.
- Contents of the Source column popups on various object editors as well as the User/Group editors have been standardized to show Directly Assigned, Inherited from Groups, Privilege Set (Privileges only). This popup helps trace the origin of a Privilege or Permissions.
DevOps & Installation
mi-okta-usersync provisionscript specifying the maximum number of users to be synced.
- Included support for New Relic APM tool.
- MI Console docker image utilizes Python 3.10.
lsoftool to the
- Removed Patcher subdirectories. To apply a patch, place the tarball with the patch into
/opt/mi/patchdirectory inside any container
- Files in
/opt/mi/patchdirectory can be locked by creating a
.lockfile with the same name as the file that needs to be locked from deleting during system upgrades; e.g., config files. This is not applied for patch tarballs.
- Pre- and post-action scripts are verified via Patcher signature.
- Removed Patcher subdirectories. To apply a patch, place the tarball with the patch into
- Bash and MySQL commands history is stored in
Simple Install: Installer commands are stored in
- Bash and MySQL commands history is stored in
- Amazon ECS: Terraform v1.0.10 is utilized for deployment.
- Corrected the missing relationship between drop-downs on the Engagement Tab in Content Center. For example, when a Data Source is selected, only Elements created from this selected Data Source will be displayed.
- In Burst Editor, when clicking External Report Tiles, users will be redirected to a new tab to view content in External Webpage or Viewer, depending on the settings of the External Report. Previous scenario was a bit inconsistent.
- The default Power BI Report Server URL Template that had been resulting in broken links for Reports is fixed. We have removed an extra slash sign "/" that was causing these issues.
- We have changed the method that Splunk objects can use to collect more data and cover more specific cases.
- "getimagesize(): Read error!" occurring on some Bursts due to the configured multi-threading has been fixed.
- "To date" on the Engagement Tab of Content Center now shows the first date of the current month.
- Group Names included in drop-downs in Content Center are displayed in full, regardless of their length and whether or not they include spaces and dots.
data truncated error for column ‘sms_alert_include_image_ind’that have been occurring while running mi-ldap-usersync no longer exists. To solve it, we have added an additional check into the class method to modify table values to ensure that the incoming
sms_alert_include_image_indvalue is in the enum range("Y", "N").
- Engagement for External Content and External Report that are configured to open in External webpage is properly counting with no dependencies from where users choose to view them.
- Previously, raw CSV attachments were distributed in a Burst even if they included only column headers and no data. This confusing issue has been successfully resolved by changing the logic. The system recognizes raw CSV files with only column headers as empty and does not attach them to Bursts.
- Incorrect import logic for Bursts has been corrected. Now, when a Burst is migrated, Bursts that use the same email Template are not included..
mi-controlhas been modified and optimized to be able to run multiple iterations in a script.
- MicroStrategy Documents and Dossiers are two separate Object types that are distinguished in Metric Insights. Previously, both types were fetched as Documents.
- We have redesigned caching behavior to fix timeout issues with Data Collection Triggers occurring several times per day with inconsistent run times.
- Filtered view queries have been optimized for large Datasets to search across specific snapshots instead of the entire Dataset’s table in dashboard_dataset.
- Hovering over External Report Tiles shows correct "Image Last Taken" date and time instead of incorrect "Last updated".
- The issue with MySQL on Azure Single Server failing because of MySQL client version conflict has been resolved.
- To avoid receiving overstated data for weekday Metrics, we have included a new option that allows users to include/exclude data for non-working days.
- When enabled, the DISABLE_DOWNLOADS System Variable is properly working for Regular Users without the "Download CSV and Excel Data"; the ability to download is restricted.