Create a Dimension with Manually Entered Values
Creating a Dimensioned element allows you to use one Metric or Report to generate separate visualizations of your organization's individual divisions, subsidiaries or other enitites.
In order to create an Element that is Dimensioned, you must have established at least one Dimension that is populated with its Dimension Values. For example, your organization may conduct business in five countries, so a "Country" Dimension is created with a Dimension Value for each; e.g., United States, France, China, Canada, Mexico.
Determine if you are going to enter Dimension Values manually or fetch them from a Data Source; e.g. using SQL:
- For manually-maintained Dimensions with a limited number of Dimension Values, the easiest way is to create a new value is to use the Add Dimension Value data entry form. If you are going to enter Dimension Values manually, follow the steps in this article
- If your Dimension Values are maintained in a source system, consider automated data collection. See Create a Dimension with Automatically Populated Values
- If you have a large number of manually-maintained Dimension Values, Upload Dimension Values from a csv File
- If there is a Dataset containing Dimension Values, use Create a Dimension with values sourced from a Dataset View (Version 5.0.5)
2. Specify Basic Dimension Information
In defining the new Dimension:
- Name: enter unique and descriptive phrase(s)
- Parent Dimension: For more information on Parent/Child Dimensions, refer to Parent/Child Dimensions
- Dimension Key Values are: specify numeric or text
Value Source: Identify how you want to collect Dimension Values for the Dimension.
- For this example, retain the default "Manual/CSV Data" since this approach is the topic of this article.
- Save this entries to create the Dimension.
The Dimension Editor opens.
4. Define the Dimension Value
- Enter the Key Value
- Provide a Display Value that corresponds to its Key Value
- Select "yes" to generate a Tile for this Dimension on the Homepage Value value or "no" if no Tile should be created.
Save your changes.
Repeat this process to add as many Dimension Values as needed.