Dimensions with Multiple Values
Users can load aggregate data into External Reports and build visualizations using multiple filter selections. This is achieved by creating Dimensions with Multiple Values and mapping them to combined Filter Values in the respective BI tool. This article describes how to create a Dimension with Multiple Values.
Table of contents:
NOTE: Multiple Dimension Values can only be used with Plugin Data Sources that support Filters.
Access Content > Dimensions
Click [+ New Dimension], specify the basic information for your Dimension, [Save], and proceed to the next step.
For details on creating Dimensions, you can refer to:
Open the Info tab and scroll the page to Dimension Values section
- [+ New Dimension Value]
- If necessary, add single Dimension Values
- In the example above, these are the Values representing sales in each separate country
- Create Multiple Values that combine several measurements
- If you have sales data for Canada and United States, you can collect aggregate data and build a View for North America
- Optionally, you can build Dimensions having only Multiple (aggregate) Values
- Multiple Values must have Delimiters
- Only the following Delimiter symbols are supported: tilde (~), underscore (_) and hyphen (-)
Access Admin > Collection & Storage > Data Sources and click the Data Source Active Name link to open the Data Source Editor
Open the Info tab, scroll the page to the Advanced Data Configuration section and specify the Multiple dimension values delimiter that you used with Multiple Dimension Values
Access Content > Elements, find the necessary External Report and click its Active Name linc to open The External Report Editor
- Open Configuration tab
- [Manage Filters]
- [+Filter] to add an external filter that will be mapped to the Dimension with Multiple Values
- Filter Name: Give the Filter a descriptive name
- Filter Values: Select "Map to Dimension Values" option
Dimension: Select the Dimension with Multiple Values from the dropdown menu
- External Report must be Dimensioned by the same Dimension (which is specified in the Info tab)
- For more information on Dimensioned External Reports, refer to How to create a Dimensioned External Report from Tableau
After you Enable & Publish your Report, you will be able to access visualizations with aggregate data for Multiple Dimension Values.