Create a New User Account and Assign to Group
Any person using Metric Insights must have a User Account. Each Account is related to one of three User Types that define the general level of security to be granted. The Administrator creating an account makes the initially defines a user as:
- Regular User: Has no authoring capabilities for creating or editing elements.
- Power User: Can be assigned the ability to create elements and other objects from a specific set of data sources. For more details refer to: Understanding Power Users
- Administrator: Has full access to view, edit and create any object or content in Metric Insights. Can also manage accounts, grant rights and perform other Administrative tasks that govern system behavior.
User rights can be assigned either directly to a user or, more commonly, assigned to multiple users through membership in a group. These rights fall into two categories:
- Privileges: Determine system functionality that is available to the user
- Permissions: Control access to specific Elements and dimension values.
Only Admins can create or update a user's account on the User Editor. Power Users with the proper Privileges and Permissions may grant direct access to objects to both Users and Groups.
1. Access: Admin menu > Users & Groups > User tab
Click [+New User] at the bottom of the page. The Add User pop-up opens.
2. Specify basic User Information
- Provide a unique Username
- Specify whether this is a LDAP User (For more details, please refer to Integrating with LDAP)
- User's Email address (must be unique)
- Define the Type of User (choose from 'Regular User, "Power User, or, 'Administrator)
Assign to default Group: Defaults to "yes" and puts the user in the "Default Group" that is established when Metric Insights is setup initially and contains Privileges and Permissions that your organization wants many users to have
- If you select "no", an "Assign User to" setting appears
- Select "--" to assign the new User to no group
- Choose any other available groups
- Determine whether you want the User to receive a temporary password (via email) and if User is required to reset upon first logon
- This option allows you to quickly define User Permissions by copying configurations previously specified for other User
Save your settings. The User Editor opens.
8. A User does not have to be assigned to a Group or granted any Privileges and/or Permissions at the time the account is created; however, a warning message cautions the Admin. The initial ability of the User to access content and perform system functions will be extremely constrained until the User has been added to a Group or directly assigned at least minimum rights. These actions will allow a User to benefit from Metric Insights.
3. Define Group Membership
- Note that, based on the initial standard settings, this sample User is assigned to the 'Default Group'.
- Add Group(s) using [+ Group to User] to specify additional group memberships for the User
- Use the Trashcan icon to delete a Group to which the User already has access
See also additional Security rules in the Establishing Security manual
A User does not have to be assigned Privileges and/or Permissions at the time the account
The sections below all follow a similar format and contain buttons to allow Use, View, or Edit Access Permissions for specific objects.
- Add Dimension via drop-down in pop-up (all or selected via option 2)
- Add Specific Dimension Values as required if Dimension is added with a Scope of Access of Specific Dimensions
- Adding by Category will add all of the elements contained in that Category
- Add elements individually
NOTE: This tab contains Categories and elements to which the user has Permissions, either inherited from an assigned Group or specifically assigned to the user. Some grid are hidden until at least one object is added.
6. Datasets and User Maps
- Add Datasets from drop-down
- Add User Maps from drop-down (only available for setting up Power Users)
7. Other Access
On the "Other Access" tab, an Admin may use the [+] button to add the following objects to a user:
- Portal Pages Shared with User
- Shared Drives
- FTP Connections
- Event Calendars
Note: The "Group and Directly Assigned .... grid only appears after Permission to at least one object has been added to the User.
Portal Pages and Shared Drive sections are new in Release 5.2 - 5.3
8. Power Users (access assigned here only applies to Power Users)
On the "Power Users" tab, an Admin may use the [+] button to add the following objects to a Power User:
- Data Sources
- Data Dependencies
- Data Collection Triggers
- Notification Schedules
- Data Storage Use Access
- Portal Pages that User can Edit
- Portal Page Asset Folders
- Email Templates
- Managed Alert Workflow
NOTE: The "Group and Directly Assigned .... grids only appears after Permission to at least one object has been added to the Power User.
9. An example of a welcome email sent to a newly created User
If you have selected to send the user a temporary password, the user will receive an email like the one shown above.
See First Login Options for more information.