Adding Custom Fields
Release 6.2.3 introduces Custom Fields that Administrators can create and populate for various element Editors and select to display on element Viewers.
This article shows how to:
Click [+ Custom Field] to open Editor
- Editable by Power Users: this field defaults to "On". If Editable by Power Users is set to "Off", the field must be set via AutoSync and cannot be changed in element Editors.
- Name: Input a unique and meaningful field name
- (optional) Description. If Editable by content publishers is set to "On", this field will display on Viewers
- Include in Section: New Custom Fields default to the "Default section", you can change Section using the dropdown
- Visible to: Viewing of this Custom Field can be restricted to specific Groups; setting this field to Groups will create a new tab - see Setting Visible to Option to Group.
- Field is: Allows field to be set in various formats. For details, see Definitions of "Field is" options
- (not shown above) Value Source: This field is only displayed if "Field is" set to Single Value or Multi-value in the above step. For details, see Value Source Field Options.
- Show on: Select Editors/Viewers on which this field can be set/displayed
- Visible in: Select where the Custom Fields are displayed or if they are used in Global Search/Request Access Dialog
- Set custom Alias: Currently used only by SharePoint plugin. If the SharePoint plugin is not correctly set, the Advanced Section will not display. For details, see Configure Custom Field Data Synchronization for Microsoft SharePoint
- Change Log: See Change Log
A new Group tab is created when "Visible to" option is set to "Group" (Step 5 Set Options in Custom Field Editor )
- Set Visible to = Groups
- Automatically a new tab = Groups is created
- [+ Assign Groups] to display a multi-select popup of Groups
[+ Add Selected] at bottom of list
If either of the above options is chosen for "Field is", an additional option, Value Source, is displayed
- When Field is = "Single Value", you can define multiple options for the Values, but only one may be selected on an element Editor for display. When Field is = "Multi-Value", publisher will be allowed to choose any number of defined values for display on elements.
- Set Value Source = "Entered Manually"
- [+ Value] to display popup for Value input
[Save] and optionally continue to add more Values [+ Values]
- Select Dataset View from dropdown list
- Select a Column from that Dataset View
- (Optional) If your Dataset contains links, you can select a Hyperlink object that will contain a link available when Custom Field is displayed
You may choose a Dataset of any length, but the number of rows actually displayed will be limited by System Variable, CUSTOM_FIELD_DATASET_MAX_ROWS.
You will receive notification of this limit and the values available for choice on Editors will be limited to max rows.
[V6.3.0] Deletion of chosen Dataset will be restricted as long as this Custom Field has values assigned.
- Use the Text Field to display a free-form input field on the element Editors
- Email Address: System will require that field contains a valid email address. On Viewers this field will display as a link. When link is activated, it will open your email system with "mail to:" set to this Value.
- Date/time: This option will display new field, Display Mask
- Display Mask: Select a format from the dropdown that will require the input to conform to selected format
Scroll down to Advanced section
- Checking the Set custom alias will open new field, Mapping Alias
- Mapping Alias: this is a free-form field that allows you to map this Custom Field to a field in another system. Currently, this mapping to restricted to fields in SharePoint. See Configure Custom Field Data Synchronization for Microsoft SharePoint
- Change Log: Displays changes to values defined in prior steps
- Change Details: Displays a grid of Old and New Values for changed fields
[new in 6.2.5] For manually entered values only, an Edit gear is added for each row/value. On click, a popup displays with options to:
- Restrict download, email, and print functions
- Create an exceptions list for these restrictions based on Group & Category
The email restriction does not apply to Bursting, therefore to fully restrict emailing, users must not be granted the Create Bursts privilege
- Click on Edit gear to open popup
- Toggle to set Restrictions - prevents Users from downloading, emailing, and printing for all
- (optional) If you wish to exempt Groups from this restriction, select [+ Value] to open popup below
- Select a Group for exemptions from drop-down
- You can restrict the Group exemption by All Categories (-) or select a specific Category
- [Save] to return to the Edit Custom Field Value screen where you can continue to add exempt Groups/Categories
- Edit Custom Field Value: example of completed Restrictions and Exceptions
- [Save] to return to Editor
- Select "View Changes" to open popup to view Change Details
[6.3.0] The History tab was modified and Custom Field value changes were added to all of the Element Editor History Tabs.
- "Object Value Changes" are sorted by date updated and displayed by Element Name,
- Removed values are shown with a strikethrough (no new value assigned)
- Changed values show both old values with strikethrough and new value
- When Value is added to a blank field, only the new value is displayed
Custom Fields are found on the Info tab where their Values can be selected (or entered in the case of text fields). Fields left blank will not display nor will they be available in Global Search.
- Blank fields will not display on Viewers
- Text field - free form input
- Multi-value field is set Manually
- Source is User field (only single value allowed)
- Single value field set via Dataset
- Default Section ("Custom Fields" is the default Section)
- User added Sections
- Custom field that is set with values (andrew)
- [new in 6.3.0] In Dataset and User Map Viewers, the Custom Fields are displayed when the Info Icon is activated
If you'd like to set these Custom Fields to be automatically updated, see Custom Field Auto Synchronization