External Report Overview
This article provides an overview of External Reports within the system.
The difference between External Report and Other External Content:
- With an External Report, you can actually drill down from another Metric Insights tile into the specified external report passing specified filters to show only selected values in the External platform.
- External Content, however, is just any URL of your choosing that will not be passed any dynamic parameters from Metric Insights.
This example is using Qlik Sense as the BI tool. The Configuration of External Reports are specific to each BI tool and so vary. Links to more specialized instructions based on your specific BI tool can be found here: Metric Insights' Plug-ins
1.1. Fill in the basics for new External Report
Fill in Basic information and
- Select Image:
- Automatically Collected requires that you set a Trigger (#2) when you want the image update to begin
- Manually Uploaded will not allow you to specify a Trigger
- Report Image Trigger: Selection is required if Collecting Image automatically
- Plugin Connect Profile: Required. Select the Profile containing the Object you are reporting on.
- Qlik Sense Object: Required. Select from list of Objects in your selected BI Tool
Select [Next: Define Details] to open full Editor
1.2. You can access optional fields on the Info tab
- [6.1.0] As of Release 6.1.0, it is possible to flag elements and then Migrate Content using our Export/Import Migration Scripts. Click for details: Scripted Migration via Category and Element Editors
- New elements will be disabled until you Publish the Report
- Certified: Certification is a means for Admin and Power Users to identify elements that have been approved as being valid and accurate. For details refer to: Certifying an Element
- Tags (referred to as Topics in Versions prior to 5.1): are used to relate elements to each other for purposes of identifying similar elements. For details refer to: Create a Topic / Tag
1.3. Open the Configuration tab
Its contents are based upon the specific BI Tool requirements. Below is an example
1.3.1. External Report Type & Object Selection Sections
Show Report in: If you want your Report to be displayed in Viewer, you can define additional options:
- Choose between the iframe and static image
- If you select iframe, you can specify the Viewer Image Size. Continue to define display options in the Additional Display Options on Advanced tab
- Select a valid Connection Profile
- Select a BI Tool Object from list provided from your selected Profile
- To apply Filters to this Report prior to collecting data, see Filtering in External Reports (Pre-filtering BI Tools)
- If you have defined multiple URL templates, you can change the default.
- [6.2.4] If you wish to Edit the URL, use the Popup to create a Custom URL and test your changes
[6.2.4] Additional Display options were moved to the Advanced tab
1.3.2. Image Collection & Display Sections
- If Image is to be Automatically Collected, you must select a Trigger specifying when Image is to be updated
- Required if Automatically Collected is selected for first field, omit if Manually Uploaded
- Optionally, [Save and Collect Image] for Homepage tile
1.3.3. [6.2.4] Additional Display Options Moved to Advanced tab
Prior to 6.2.4, the Desktop and Mobile Display options were on the Configuration tab
- These options are displayed only if you have selected to display Report in the Viewer and using the Static Image options in Step 1.3.1
- Mobile Display Image is recommended to be set as Static Image
- [6.3.2] You can manually set when tile will display [Expired] based on how old the current image is
Select a unique Name and add the External Content URL
If you need additional assistance after you select [Next: define details], see How to link to Other External Content
Each URL that Metric Insights will link too will, of course, require some form of login for that system.