Adding Custom Fields
Release 6.2.3 introduces Custom Fields that Administrators can create and populate for various element Editors and select to display on element Viewers.
This article shows how to:
Release 6.2.5 added Visibility fields and Sections as detailed below.
1. Create a Custom Field
1.1. Access Admin > Reference Objects > Custom Fields > Fields
Click [+ Custom Field] to open Editor
1.2. Set Options in Custom Field Editor
- Editable by content publishers: this field is defaulted to "On". If Editable by content publishers is set to "Off", the field must be set via AutoSync and cannot be changed in element Editors.
- Name: Input a unique and meaningful field name
- (optional) Description. If Editable by content publishers is set to "Off", this field will not display on any element Editor.
- Include in Section: new Custom Fields are defaulted to the Default section, you can change Section using the dropdown.
- Field is: Allows field to be set as a single value, multiple values, or free-form text from element Editors
Value Source: Select how the values for this field will be populated on the element Editors
- Manually: Click [+ Value] to enter Values to be displayed in the dropdown
- Dataset: Enter the Values based on a field in an existing Dataset, and optionally as a Hyperlink value
Users: System populates a dropdown list of Users for selection.
- NOTE: This option does not allow the specification of Field is.
- Values: in this example, Values are added manually via the [+ Value] button
- Show on: Select Editors on which this field is to be available for input
- Visible in: new in 6.2.5, you can deselect where the Custom Fields are displayed or if they are used in Global Search
1.2.1. Value Source = "Entered Manually"
- Set Value Source = "Entered Manually"
- When Field is = "Single Value", you can define multiple options for the Values, but only one may be selected on an element Editor for display. When Field is = "Multi-Value", publisher will be allowed to choose any number of defined values for display on elements.
- [+ Value] to display popup for Value input
[Save] and optionally continue to add more Values [+ Values]
1.2.2. Value Source = "Dataset Field"
You may choose a Dataset of any length, but the number of rows actually displayed will be limited by System Variable, CUSTOM_FIELD_DATASET_MAX_ROWS.
You will receive notification of this limit and the values available for choice on Editors will be limited to max rows.
[V6.3.0] Deletion of chosen Dataset will be restricted as long as this Custom Field has values assigned.
- Select Dataset View from dropdown list
- Select a Column from that Dataset View
- (Optional) If your Dataset contains links, you can select a Hyperlink object that will contain a link available when Custom Field is displayed
1.2.3. Value Source = "Text"
- Use the Text Field to display a free-form input field on the element Editors
- Users will populate the field will a list of all Metric Insight Users for your system
- Only Single User may be selected for this Value Source
[new in 6.2.5] For manually entered values only, an Edit gear is added for each row/value. On click, a popup displays with options to:
- Restrict download, email, and print functions
- Create an exceptions list for these restrictions based on Group & Category
The email restriction does not apply to Bursting, therefore to fully restrict emailing, users must not be granted the Create Bursts privilege
- Click on Edit gear to open popup
- Toggle to set Restrictions - prevents Users from the download, email, and print for all
- (optional) If you wish to exempt Groups from this restriction, select [+ Value] to open popup below
1.3.1. [6.3.0] Exempting Groups From Restrictions
- Select a Group for exemptions from drop-down
- You can restrict the Group exemption by All Categories (-) or select a specific Category
- [Save] to return to the Edit Custom Field Value screen where you can continue to add exempt Groups/Categories
- Edit Custom Field Value: example of completed Restrictions and Exceptions
- [Save] to return to Editor
1.5.1. Usage tab
This tab displays all elements where a value has been set for a Custom Field
1.5.2. History tab
[6.3.0] The History tab was modified and Custom Field value changes were added to all of the Element Editor History Tabs.
- "Object Value Changes" are sorted by date updated and displayed by Element Name,
- Removed values are shown with a strike through (no new value assigned)
- Changed values show both old value with strike through and new value
- When Value is added to a blank field, only the new value is displayed
Custom Fields are found on the Info tab where their Values can be selected (or entered in the case of Text fields). Fields left blank will not display nor will they be available in Global Search.
- Blank fields will not display
- Text field (no source)
- Multi-value field set Manually
- Source is User field (only single value allowed)
- Single value field set via Dataset
3.1. Visible in Tile Previews
- Default Section ("Custom Fields" is the default Section)
- User added Sections
- Custom field set values (green)
3.2. Dataset Views (info icon)
- [new in 6.3.0] In Dataset and User Map Viewers, the Custom Fields are displayed when the Info Icon is activated.
3.3. Element Viewers - (Summary)
If you'd like to set these Custom Fields to be automatically updated, see Custom Field Auto Synchronization