Target is a feature that allows Admins to set a static value, visible on Charts. It helps to analyze performance related to organizational goals, such as a forecast or budget.
To make search easier and further organization clearer, the Administrator can create Target Types. It is possible to create as many different Target Types as necessary. Consider starting with "Budgets" to plan long-term goals and "Forecasts" to update these goals based on current experience and revised views of expectations.
Targets can be applied only to Metrics. One or more Targets can be associated with any Metric. A Target may also be extended to include period-to-date (XTD) periods (for example, Month-to-Date, Quarter-to-Date) comparison vs Metrics.
A Target is visible as a line on the full Metric View if there is at least one Target associated with it. To see it, open the Target tab.
The Data Point Mouse-over Display for any particular Data Point includes results, associated target(s) and related variance data.
To open the Target Editor access Admin > Reference Objects > Targets > click the Target Active name Link
- Measurement Interval: Selected period that the Target covers
- Target is: By selecting "disabled", the Target can be disabled
XTD rollup type: If the Target Measurement Interval is XTD, here you can define when the period will be considered finished, according to the "calendar" or "fiscal" rollup type
- For more information, refer to Generate Period to Date (XTD) Target Variance article
- Target type: Selected Target Type. Clicking the gear icon redirects you to the Target Type Editor. Clicking on the plus icons allows creating a new Target Type
Dimensioned by: Selected Dimension
- Target can be applied only to Metrics that are Dimensioned with the same Dimension
- Name: The target's name
- Data values are: Defines whether values are "integer" or "decimal"
Values are additive across time periods: Here you can define whether the Target Values can or can not be summarized within a bigger Measurement Interval
- If this field is changed from "Yes" to "No", Total Dimension Values are automatically removed from all Metrics using this Target
- Target Data Source is described in the following paragraph
Target data is entered in one of the three ways:
- "entered data" (manual data entry)
- Keying in one value at a time. For more information, see Create and Populate a Manually Sourced Target article
- Uploading from CSV file. The process of uploading data to a Target is essentially the same as uploading data to an Element. For more information, see Create and Populate a Target from a CSV file article
- "other Target" (derived from another Target)
Using another Target's Data as input to a new Target. For more information, see Create a Target derived from another Target article. In addition, Period to date (XTD) targets are always derived from an associated Target itself and are generated, upon request, by Metric Insights. For more information about Period to date Targets, see Include MTD, QTD and YTD Target Variances article.
- "Metric" (sourced from another Metric's data)
For more information, see Create a Target sourced from a Metric article
This tab stores the list of Target Values.
- Tasks: Filter target Values according to the Dimension
- [Clear Target Values] to delete all or some specific Target Values
[Load from File] to upload Target Values from a CSV file
- For more information, refer to Populate a Target from a CSV file article
- [+New Value] to add new Target Value manually