Adding Annotations to Elements
Annotations allow you to share your insights on a Metric or Report with other users. You can apply an annotation to a single date point or to a range of dates. You may easily apply your annotation to a broad set of elements.
To be able to create Annotations, Power Users must have either View or Edit Access to element as well as the Add Annotation Privilege.
In this example, we've selected 'Time Period' in the Annotate field in order to display both the start date and the finish date
- Use the Calendar icons to select Annotation start Date and Annotation finish Date
- Add your text. Note, that if you want to change text formatting or add a link, you need to use Markdown. To learn the basics of Markdown syntax, click the M↓ icon at the top right corner of the text field
- If you wish to notify others about this Annotation, you may do so here. See The Share function for more details.
- You also have the option to attach a file to provide more details to your annotation
- You can add this annotation only to the current Metric or to other Metrics as well. For more information see the following Step
If in the Show on other Metrics field the 'other Metrics' option is selected, the following additional fields are displayed:
- This drop-down allows you to select related metrics based on various criteria (e.g. Measure of, Topic, Category)
- You can restrict your element choices based on Measurement Interval
- Check and un-check elements to add the same annotation to their charts
- Annotation range is indicated on Chart
- Details on annotation appear below the chart allowing others to comment on your annotation
Users can easily add Annotations for a Metric's data points for which data has not been collected yet. This is helpful when a user knows something will be happening during the current or future period. The annotation will appear on the Chart and at the Homepage > News View when data is collected for that period; until then, the annotation can be viewed on the Metric Viewer below the actual chart as show below.
NOTE: Display of Future Annotations is controlled based on the last data point collected, regardless of how OLD that data is.