Configure File Groups for Other External Content
File Groups allow for having a single Tile with multiple versions of the file/multiple independent files instead of creating a separate Tile for each File.
File Groups work based on folders that exist on the Microsoft SharePoint/the user's local file system side by mirroring them and their contents. File Groups can be selected as an object for Other External Content creation. Files from the selected group will then appear in the drop-down in Other External Content Viewer, with the most recent file at the top of the list.
NOTE: This article is focused on File Groups for Microsoft SharePoint, but the functionality is essentially the same for Local Filesystem.
1. Enable File Groups
Access Admin > Collection & Storage > Data Sources > Microsoft SharePoint Data Source Name Link
- Set Display Files to "Grouped within each Folder"
Once objects are collected, the Microsoft SharePoint Objects Tab will include an additional grid displaying Microsoft SharePoint File Groups as exemplified below. Clicking the Content button with display the contents of the Group.
2. Create Other External Content
- Give a descriptive Name to the External Content
- Choose "Microsoft SharePoint" as External Content Type
- Choose Category for the element
- Select "Generate Automatically" and configure the following three steps
- External Content URL will be filled automatically
- Set Show in to "Viewer".
- NOTE: File Groups work only with Show in set to "Viewer" and Display in Viewer set to "External web page". You can further configure the Show in settings on the Configuration tab. See the screen below.
- [Next: Define Details]
3. Verify the Result
- Specify if you want to receive files as attachments to Bursts. Metric Insights will email the most recent file from File Group.
- NOTE: In 6.3.2a, the display of this option is controlled in External Content Type Editor.
- Click [View] to proceed to Viewer
NOTE: In this example, the download controls in black boxes are native to the Metric Insights system, while the controls in a red box are native to PDF and are not controlled by Metric Insights.