Deliver a Burst to FTP, Shared Drive, SharePoint Site
Metric Insights allows to configure and manage Bursts via FTP, Shared Drive, or [6.3.3] SharePoint Site in addition to, or instead of, sending them via email.
- Users must have "Create FTP Connections" Privilege to be able to create and edit FTP connections.
NOTE: Shared Drive/SharePoint Site connections can be created by the Admin only.
To be able to deliver files/attachments for External Reports and Other External Content, additional options must be specified:
- External Report: Editor > Advanced tab > Collect additional files. NOTE: Image must be collected after configuring this option.
- Other External Content: Editor > Configuration tab > Include files as attachments
Additionally, it is strongly recommended that the file type selected at the Element level corresponds to the file type selected for a Channel in a Burst Editor. For example:
- External Reports: if Collect additional files = PDF, then Filetype = PDF
Other External Content:
- SharePoint and Local Filesystem: if the type of the file that you select as an object for Other External Content creation is PDF, then Filetype = PDF
NOTE: Other External Content of type "Other" delivers only PDF. That's why in Burst Editor the Filetype option must be always set to PDF.
For more information on attachment rules, refer to this article.
Create and Send a Burst via FTP/Shared Drive/SharePoint Site
Once an FTP connection/Shared Drive/SharePoint Site has been added, it becomes available for Bursting and will be displayed in the corresponding drop-downs of the Burst Editor
- Name and define the content of your Burst
- Choose a Schedule
- Select the required channel
- Define the Location
- Specify the required file format
- The difference between "CSV:Raw" and "CSV:Formatted" file types is explained in the note below
- [Save and Enable]
- [Send Now] will send the Burst immediately
- Metric Insights supports two CSV formats: "CSV Raw" and "CSV Formatted". When using these file types, remember the following:
- "CSV: Raw" files contain unformatted data.
- "CSV: Formatted" is a file type that has been changed by a Metric Insights User (e.g, had a Display Mask applied to it, was reorganized in some way at Element level).
- CSV data contained in External Reports can only be passed in a raw CSV format.
- Email services usually transform CSV: Raw files to look more user-friendly. They are still considered unformatted (Raw) by Metric Insights' standards.
- When a Burst includes multiple Tiles and PDF, PPT, or XLSX is selected as under Filetype, the delivered content will be merged into one file instead of delivering a separate file for each Tile. This rule does not apply to Other External Content.
To learn more about how to set up and manage Bursts, check Report Bursting.
Access Admin > Distribution > FTP Connections
When you need to set up a new FTP connection, access FTP Connections Editor
- Click [+Add FTP Connection]
- Select Protocol:
- Specify whether to use Explicit (default) or Implicit FTPS
- Choose the Host Server location. As a rule, this is <hostname>.metricinsights.com
- Enter the Port number
- The default ports are: 21 for FTP and Explicit FTPS, 22 for SFTP, 990 for Implicit FTPS
- Enter user credentials
- Specify the Directory to which your content will be pushed
- It is recommended to [Test Connection] from the Editor
Users can register one or more FTP Servers within Metric Insights and specify access credentials for each server.
If any failures occur when Bursting to FTP, a “File Upload Errors” email will be sent to the Burst Creator.
Notification of Burst failures to Shared Drive will be implemented soon.