Deliver a Burst via FTP or a Shared Drive
This feature enables users to post content to FTP and Shared Drives.
Version 5.2.1 allows to set up and manage Bursts via FTP and/or a Shared Drive in addition to, or instead of, sending them via email.
- Users must have "Create FTP Connections " Privilege to be able to create and edit FTP connections.
- Shared Drive can be created by the Admin only.
Create and Send a Burst via FTP/Shared Drive
Once an FTP connection/Shared Drive has been added, it becomes available for Bursting and will be displayed in the FTP/Drive Location dropdown of the Burst Editor
- Name and define the content of your Burst
- Choose a Schedule
- Select the FTP server location and/or a Shared Drive
- Filetype: specify the required file format
- The difference between "CSV:Raw" and "CSV:Formatted" file types is explained in the NOTE below
- [Save and Enable]
- [Send Now] will send the Burst immediately
Metric Insights supports two CSV formats: "CSV Raw" and "CSV Formatted". When using these file types, remember the following:
- "CSV: Raw" files contain unformatted data.
- "CSV: Formatted" is a file type that has been changed by a Metric Insights User (e.g, had a Display Mask applied to it, was reorganized in some way at Element level).
- CSV data contained in External Reports can only be passed in a raw CSV format.
- Email services usually transform CSV: Raw files to look more user-friendly. They are still considered unformatted (Raw) by Metric Insights' standards.
To learn more about how to set up and manage Bursts, check Report Bursting
Access Admin > Distribution > FTP Connections
When you need to set up a new FTP connection, access FTP Connections Editor
- Click [+Add FTP Connection]
- Select Protocol:
- Specify whether to use Explicit (default) or Implicit FTPS
- Choose the Host Server location. As a rule, this is <hostname>.metricinsights.com
- Enter the Port number
- The default ports are: 21 for FTP and Explicit FTPS, 22 for SFTP, 990 for Implicit FTPS
- Type in User credentials (Username and Password)
- Specify the Directory to which your content will be pushed
Users can register one or more FTP Servers within Metric Insights and specify access credentials for each server.
If any failures occur when Bursting to FTP, a “File Upload Errors” email will be sent to the Burst Creator.
Notification of Burst failures to Shared Drive will be implemented soon.