Create New Burst
Bursts can be set up and managed using a single, consolidated editor. Users can select an arbitrary set of Elements; e.g., Reports, Metrics; designate recipients, and schedule delivery based on a user-defined Notification Schedule, all through a single editor.
Bursting functionality also allows for large-scale External Report distribution. Applying a User Map (with the appropriate mapping of Users to Filters) allows a single Burst to be the source for hundreds (or thousands) of User-specific emails. This means that each User (or Group) will receive targeted content based on their needs. See how to apply these new filters in the Setting Filter Defaults on Burst Editor section of Pre-filtering BI tools (External Reports).
1. Access New > Burst
Three options are available for adding content to a Burst:
- We recommend providing a meaningful Name to your Burst, since it is going to be used as an email header once notifications are sent.
- If you choose to add specific tiles into the Burst email, click [ + Add tiles] and in the opened pop-up choose which of the elements are supposed to be included into the Burst.
NOTE: You can filter the list of tiles by entering keywords into the Search field or selecting a specific Folder (or Category) at the top of the Select Tiles pop-up.
Once done with selection, click [+ Add selected].
Select your content by adding elements from your Favorites folders:
- We recommend providing a meaningful Name to your Burst since it is going to be used as an email header once notifications are sent.
- Content: As this is an example for favorite folders, select the corresponding option. The example for "Selected Tiles" and "Shared Folders" are shown in the steps below.
- Send folders as: define whether each of the favorite folders that you are going to include in this Burst should be sent in individual emails or all of them should be sent as one large email.
- Click [+ Add Favorite] and in the opened pop-up choose which of the favorites are supposed to be included in the Burst.
Once done with selection, click [+ Add selected].
Elements that are actually seen in each Burst email are subject to the Security Rules for each recipient
2. Customize tab: Use Advanced Burst Settings
Email Template: Default Burst's email template is "Burst - Any Image Size"; it was designed as a standard and flexible solution. You are free to add your custom template to a Burst by:
- First, adding it to Admin > Email Templates;
- Then choosing it from this drop-down list.
Email Subject Line: Default Subject line is "<Burst name> for <current date>", but you can enter any Subject line that you wish.
- Other Email lines: These other lines can be included or updated also
- NOTE: For instances with multiple domains, From Name lines can be configured under System Variables. See Multiple Branded Experiences on the Same Instance
- Custom Header / Custom Footer: Clicking on either field will open a Text box for input. You can choose to include arbitrary text into custom fields and have that shown up as a header, footer, or both in the Burst email.
- Render Overlays on Burst Images:
- Send only what's been updated since last email: Prevents the Bursting of old content by only sending those elements that have been updated since last time this Burst was sent. (Note: Only Sharepoint / Local File External Content, Metrics, and Data Set Reports are effected by this flag. Other element types are always included.)
Include PPT document: If you select "yes",
- System will automatically create and attach a Power Point Presentation of your Burst contents
- A field opens to allow you to choose the PPT template. See details for creation of templates Utilize Custom PowerPoint Template for Bursts and Favorites
- Append date/time to files: The date and time showing time the Burst was sent will be appended to all attached files
- [6.2] You can now track the engagement of your Bursts
- See for more details Burst Tracking
- [6.2] Detailed error messaging is available in newer versions (Request Email with Errors Encountered When generating Bursts)
- Selecting this options will open a field allowing input of Email address
3. Assign Subscribers to Burst
Three options are available for subscribing Users to a Burst:
- Group Subscriptions: You may add Groups of users to the distribution list. A group can be created at Admin > Groups.
- Send to Burst Owner: Check if you want to send the burst to yourself.
- Subscribed users: To add users one by one, choose them in this list. You can use a Search field at the upper right corner above the table to find Users by Name or email.
For instructions on creating a User Map see Create a User Map.
- Toggle the 'Set Subscribers via User Map' to ON
- Select User Map from those available to you via the drop-down
- Users Subscribed and/or Groups Subscribed grids will populate with contents from User Map
4. Enable your Burst
- At the upper right corner of the screen click Save & Enable.
- Optionally, you can request to [Send now] - see 4.1 for available options
Once enabled, the Report Burst will run on the schedule you set up.
- This option allows you to setup Bursts for others and then verify exactly what these Users will receive. Open the Burst for dropdown and select a Subscriber other than yourself. You will receive the Burst immediately, tailored for the selected Viewer - the system will apply any User maps, Security Privileges and Permissions, as well as any Bookmarks set for that User. Note that the default is to send you the Burst based on your personal settings