Overview of Portal Pages
Portal Pages can be embedded directly into your existing Metric Insights Portal, or you can use the Layout function to create your own branded portal or website in which to embed these Pages (with no visible Metric Insights UI)
1. Prerequisites for using Portal Pages (Admin User functions)
1.1. Use of Portal Pages is controlled by 2 System Config variables
2. Example of Portal tabs
- The 'normal' Homepage in Metric Insights will now appear as a Catalog from which to pull content for your new Portal Pages,
- Portal Pages will appear as tabs. Any of these Pages can be selected to be your default Homepage upon entry into the system.
The Company Overview Portal in this example contains additional CSS and HTML code to create the distinct format of page layout and navigation
3. Create a Simple New Portal Page for use in MI
3.1. Add an icon to your Portal tab (Optional)
If you upload your own image, it must be in either PNG or GIF format.
3.2. Basic example of finding the code to embed an object (from your Catalog View)
- Access Preview of desired Tile
- Click the Share icon
- Click on the 'Embed this instead' link
- Copy Code
To locate the Embed codes for any Metric Insights object, refer to 'Embedding Overview'
3.3. Understanding Embedding code options
- If the element is Dimensioned, you can display All or select specific Dimension from the drop-down window
- Type of views available:
- tile - identical to view of tile on Catalog View
- tile Chart - same image as above only larger
- preview - an interactive image with additional detail as shown in Preview on Catalog View
- full Chart - an interactive image as shown on element Viewer
- viewer - not currently supported
- If the element is Dimensioned, you can select the format for display of these elements - the default of 1x1 will allow viewing of additional Dimensions via a scroll bar
- Determines if clicking on an image will open that image in Metric Insights
3.4. Syntax of the Embedding codes - so you can create your own embed codes rapidly
Once you copy some embedding codes, you can easily duplicate and create new codes without going into Metric Insights to Copy code - see Rules and examples here.
3.5. Example results - shown with custom formatting added
4. Sharing your Portal Page(s)
4.1. Add groups and Users manually (via Portal Pages)
Note: User may override their Starting Location by using the My Setting menu option under their name. Once a User has set their Starting Location via the My Setting options, it cannot be overridden on either the User Editor or the Portal Page. See more information on Setting a Portal Page as your Start Location
- For each Group chosen from drop-down,
- All Group members will be setup with Page Access automatically
4.2. Add groups and Users manually (via Group or User Editors)
Access the Portal Pages section on Other Access tab on either Group Editor or User Editor
- [+ Portal Page for Group/User]
- Select available Pages from drop-down
- Specify if the Page will display when User initially signs on to Metric Insights
- On User Editor, Portal Pages inherited from Groups will display as well as those individually assigned
Starting location assigned on User Editor will override assignment inherited from either Group or Portal Editors.
If User sets Starting location on their My Settings screen this overrides any settings on User, Group, or Portal Editors. See Setting a Portal Page as your Start Location
4.3. Copy access rules from another Portal Page
- You can view the Share options for your chosen Portal using the edit icon to access that Portal Page editor - Sharing tab
- Any updates to the Share options in Marketing will now automatically be applied to your new Marketing Agents
4.4. Assets : add images or animations for use in your Portal Pages
- Admin > Portal Pages > Assets
- [5.3.2] Clicking on existing Asset Name will allow you to edit the code to customize it just for use with Portal Pages (does not affect the code in Relative Path.
- It is highly recommended to upload all custom files into Assets to ensure your seamless experience with the Portal Pages functionality. Assets are used with both Portal Pages in Metric Insights and with External Portal Pages.
5. Options for creating External Pages (Portal Pages > new Page > Add Portal Page pop-up)
5.1. Creating an External Portal Page
- Check [Include Portal Page in next scheduled migration], if required
- Turn off visibility on Homepage to display two required External Page fields
- Enter the URL where the Portal Page is expected to be displayed
- Select the Layout format created for the website
To learn more about migration of portal pages, see Scripted Migration Utility.
As of Release 6.1.0, it is possible to flag elements and Migrate Content using Export/Import Migration Scripts. To learn more, see Scripted Migration via Category and Element Editors.
5.2. Layouts MUST be defined for use with External Portal Pages: Admin> Portal Pages > Layouts
For more information on adding New Layouts, please refer to: Layouts for Portal Pages
All External layouts are client-specific and must be custom-designed. Please contact email@example.com for assistance if you do not already have a layout for your website