The Security discussed below applies primarily to Power Users (PU's) because:
- Admins have no restrictions as to Dimension functionality
- Regular Users (RU's) must have access to at least one Dimension Value of a Dimension in order to View a dimensioned element or Dataset
Power Users have the implicit Privilege to Create Dimensions. When they create a Dimension, they automatically receive Edit Access to that Dimension.
Additional Security functionality is applied Dimension Edit Access for PU's. In order for a PU to open a Dimension Editor, he must have either:
- Use Access to the Dimension's Configurable Data Source
- The Privileges to Create Content using a specific Non-Configurable Data Source with:
- At least View Access Permission to any associated source element or Dataset
Dimension Security Permissions can be applied via:
- User Editor > Dimensions tab
- Group Editor > Dimensions tab
- Dimension Editor > Access tab
- Using User Map (View Access only)
- Via Manual Permissions (View or Edit Access)
For Power Users, Security is designed to have both an expanded Security Privileges for Dimensions and Permissions to a specific Dimension.
Dimension security applies to:
- Dimension Editor: Only PU's with Edit Access to a Dimension can open its Editor
- Element Viewer: A PU or RU must have at access to one Dimension Value in order to View a Dimensioned element
- Dataset Viewer: A PU must have at least View Access to the Dataset
- Content > Dimensions List Page that only shows those Dimensions to which the PU has Edit Access
2. Add Dimension Privilege: Group/User Editor > Info tab > + Privilege to Group/User
Every Power User has the implicit Privilege to Create Dimensions, and the Privilege cannot be manually added or deleted.
There is one Extended Security Dimension Privilege that can only be assigned to Power Users or inherited from the Group(s) to which a Power User belongs.
- Filter on "Dimension"
- Select "Allow Power Users to grant Dimension access to any User or Group" (Extended Security Privilege) allows PU to grant View or Edit Access to any Group or User (for RU's, limited to View Access)
2.1. Grant Permissions: Content > Dimensions > select a Dimension > Dimension Editor > Access tab
- If the slider for Set Permissions via User Map is activated, see Step 3.2 below
- If the Manual Permissions button is clicked, see Step 3.1 below
The types of Dimension Security Permissions that may be granted to a Group, RU (View Access Only) and PU:
View Access: Groups, PU's and RU's
- May be granted to any PU or RU regardless of Privileges
- Access to one or more specific Dimension Values when View Access does not include access to All Dimension Values
Edit Access: Group PU members or independent PU's only
- PU receives access to the Dimension's Editor:
- PU can:
- Open the Dimension Editor via the Dimension list page or the Edit icon on an elment's Editor that appears only if the PU has Edit Access to the element's Dimension
- Make changes to Dimension
- Delete the Dimension
- Assign Access to Groups of which the PU is a member and to other Members of those Group
- With Extended Security Privilege, grant access to any Group or Regular/Power User
Permissions may be granted via the Dimension Editor, Group Editor or individual User Editor (Admin only).
2.2. Grant Permissions > Access tab > Manual Permissions button
On the Dimension Permissions pop-up, PU with Edit Access can grant View or Edit Access to:
- Groups and PU members of Groups to which PU belongs and Groups that the PU can edit
- With the Extended Security Privilege, any Group or other user
- Select the button related to either add access to a User or Group
- When adding access to a User or Group,:
- When a Group or Power User is selected, Can Edit is displayed
- If set to "Yes", Group or Individual PU receives access to all Dimension Values
- When a Regular User is selected, Can Edit is not displayed
- If a RU or Can Edit is"No", user must be granted View Access to All or Selected Dimension Values
2.2.1. Manually, Grant Access toDimension Values > Manual Permission button > Dimension Values section
Power or Regular Users with "Specifically Values" View Access to a Dimension must have individual Dimension Values entered manually.
- [+ New User Access to Dimension Value]
- Select a User
- Choose a Dimension Value
2.3. Grant Permissions > Access tab > slider set to Set Permissions via User Map is
3. Dimension Editor
PU's with Edit Access can access a specific Dimension's Editor from both of the following paths:
- Content menu > Dimensions > click on a Dimension Name link in the list box
- Element Editor > Edit icon to right of Dimension text box
From the Editor, a PU can:
- Make changes to the settings
- Use the Access tab button to grant Dimension and Dimension Value Access
- Delete the Dimension
- Add another Dimension
- Add Dimension Values
- Define Parent/Child Dimensions
3.1. Parent/Child Dimensions
Security can be granted to a Child Dimension in the same manner as any other Dimension OR may be inherited based on permissions granted at the Parent level. If you grant a User access to a Dimension that has children, grandchildren or other generations, the user receives cascading access to all of the Dimension's descendants in the Family tree
To obtain more information about how a Dimension may be a Parent or a Child within a set of nested Dimensions, see Understanding Parent/Child Dimensions
PU's with the Privilege to Create Groups and the Permission to edit a specific Group may grant access to Dimensions on the Group Editor > Dimensions tab:
- Select the [+Dimension access to Group] to open the Give Dimension Access to Group pop-up
- Grant View or Edit Access to be inherited by the Group's Power Users
- Determine if Group receives All or Selected Dimension Values
- If the Dimension is a child, grant All or Selected Dimension Values
- Select a one or more Dimensions from grid in which the PU will only see Dimensions to which he has Edit Access
NOTE: If Selected Dimension Values option was selected, continue to add Dimension Values via the popup.
4. Element Editors > Content > Elements > Element Name link > Info tab
If a PU is able to open a new or existing element's editor, the PU can assign Dimensions to which the PU has Edit Access. PU can also access the selected Dimension's Editor from the Edit icon.
On the Info tab, PU can add or change the Dimension setting:
Dimension drop-down list contains:
- Dimensions for which the PU has Edit Access, if any
- Option to create a new Dimension
- Click the Gear icon to open the Dimension's Editor
- The Gear icon only appears when the PU has Edit Access to the selected Dimension
5. Generate Dimension from Dataset Viewer: Content > Datasets > Views tab > View Name link
PU can create a Dimension from a Dataset Viewer if they have the following Privileges and Permissions.
- Permission for at least View Access to the Dataset
- Privilege "Create Content from Dataset"
The function creates a new Dimensin based on the selected column.
On the Dataset Viewer:
- Select a Dataset View
- Open the Action menu > New Dimension to generate a Dimension from the selected View's data
- Define the new Dimension
- [Save] to open the new Dimension's Editor