Install or Update MI via Installation Packages (for MI v5.x)
This article provides a step-by-step instruction on how to install Metric Insights v5.x on your virtual machine and describes the ways available to update the system to a newer version.
NOTE: Metric Insights by default installs to /opt. MySQL by default installs to /var. The installer and the application makes use of /tmp. If the three directories live as separate partitions on the host server, please ensure there is adequate disk space to support the application and database.
Metric Insights app directory = /opt/mi MySQL default directory = /var/lib/mysql Temp files = /tmp
- For disk space requirements see What are the system requirements for a Metric Insights server?
- For information on installing/updating MI v6.x see Install or Update MI via Installation Packages (for MI v6.x)
1. Connect to the server by ssh
- Use ssh [email protected] and replace the zeros with the server IP address
- When prompted, enter the root password provided by your IT specialist
2. Download MI installation package
- Depending on the system version your organization plans to install, Metric Insights team will provide you with a link to a corresponding installation package version
- Along with a link, Username and Password should be provided by the MI support team.; enter credentials into corresponding fields
- Check the box to confirm your agreement with terms and conditions of Metric Insights usage
- Click Submit
The download process of the .zip archive containing all files required to install the system will begin.
3. Operating Systems Supported
3.1. Additional Actions for Operating Systems
Different operating systems require specific additional steps to be performed before and after installation process. Refer to the table below to learn additional commands that should be run for successful package installation.
If you are using a firewall on the linux machine, inbound TCP ports 443 and 8443 are necessary for Metric Insights to work correctly. To open them use the following commands:
Examples for iptables:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 80 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 443 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 443 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8443 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 8443 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
Examples for ufw:
ufw allow 80/tcp ufw allow 443/tcp ufw allow 8443/tcp
Examples for firewall-cmd:
firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=80/tcp --permanent firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=443/tcp --permanent firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=8443/tcp --permanent firewall-cmd --reload
4. Ensure required Linux packages to support the application are available
See this article for more details: Operating system linux package requirements / dependencies
5. Unpack the downloaded zip archive using the following command
tar -xvf MetricInsights-Installer-<version_number>.tar.gz
6. Change directory to the new install location
7. Initiate the installation process
NOTE: The installer must be run as root or a user with sudo access.
For additional parameters to use with the installer, please see
If you encounter any errors, please contact [email protected]
8. Post-checks once the install is complete
Once the installation is complete, confirm the version of Metric Insights from the command line by running this command:
Also confirm that major system services for the application are running without issue:
- MySQL/MariaDB service
- Apache service
- Cron service
- NTP service
Next, log into the UI and confirm the version number in the lower left-hand corner of the homepage. Also check Admin > Status Monitor to get an overview of the application's status.
9. If upgrading by running the installer
First, back up your application before running the installer to upgrade. Run this utility from the command line:
By default, the backup file will save to /var/backups/mi-app-backups/. To specify a different path and for additional parameters to use with the utility, please see