Docker Deployment (Simple Installer)
This article will detail how to setup and install the most basic Docker deployment available in 6.+
For servers with closed outbound access to the internet, in order to deploy Metric Insights using simple installer, the host machine must have the following packages installed manually:
- docker-compose 1.19.0+
For servers open to internet, these 2 packages will be installed by the MI installation package.
3. Python v2 or v3
Simple installation architecture
If you are using a firewall on the Linux machine, the following ports are necessary for Metric Insights to work correctly:
- 80, 443 - HTTP and HTTPS ports for the UI Application Service (by default redirection to 443)
- 2550 - TCP port for the Data Processor cluster
- 2551 - TCP port for the Seed Node Service
- 3306 - MySQL port to get access from outside
- 8080, 8443 - HTTP and HTTPS ports for the REST API Data Processor Service (only one port is enabled at one time)
- 8081 - TCP port for Monitoring Tool
1. SSH to the server
- SSH to the host server, as in this example where x.x.x.x represents the IP of the server (or use the cname):
Note: The Metric Insights application must be installed as user root or as a user with sudo privileges (added to the wheel or sudo group, thereby included in the sudoers list). The docker daemon binds to a unix socket instead of a tcp port, therefore unix sockets are owned by user root and accessible by users with sudo privileges.
2. Download the MI app installation package
- Depending on the version, you will be given a link to the corresponding MI app installation package.
- Along with the link, Username and Password will be provided by the MI support team; enter these credentials into the respective fields.
- Confirm your agreement with the Terms and Conditions of the Metric Insights usage.
- Click [Submit].
This will initiate the download process of the .tar.gz archive (containing all files required to install the system).
3. Package Overview
- subfolder with basic /opt/mi directory structure that will be overwritten by next update
- a file with specified components versions
- a subfolder with binary data and miscellaneous data (such as dependencies list and credentials for pulling docker images from docker.metricinsights.com by Installer in case with Lite type of package)
- the main executive file that initializes the Metric Insights installation process
- folder containing common libraries used by installer.py
- also has third-party libraries
4. Supported Operating Systems
Metric Insights v6.x can be installed on the following Operating Systems (any OS with Linux kernel >= 3.10):
- RHEL 7
- CentOS 7
- Oracle Linux 7
- Ubuntu 16/18
- Debian 7/8
5. Run the installer
Normally, the application can be installed by simply running
./installer.py -v but we recommend checking the help to ensure appropriate parameters are defined for the install. To see the help:
Once the installation is complete, you will see a "Metric Insights application installed successfully" message.
5.1. Basic console commands
Not all tools will be installed with all components, each component has only: mi-version and mi-control. All of these tools become accessible only if the Web Component is installed.
5.2. The list of arguments that can be used during installation (from help)
./installer.py --restrict-access mysql,dataprocessor
This way only UI can be accessible from thе outside.