Configure Sending Attachments via Bursts for MS SharePoint
Beginning in v6.3.1, you can configure Bursts to send Microsoft SharePoint External Content as an attachment instead of just previewing it.
In v6.3.1, this functionality is controlled by the "Include File Attachments in Bursts" option in External Content Type.
In later versions, this setting is located in Other External Content Editors and appears as "Include files as email attachments".
- NOTE: "Include files as email attachments" defaults to "Yes" unless configured otherwise by the ATTACH_EXTERNAL_CONTENT_FILES_DEFAULT System Variable.
After the initial Burst is sent, files are stored in cache. Each subsequent time the system will send the exact same files from cache, unless cache is cleared. Cache clearing guarantees that users will receive the most recent files. See the configurations steps below.
- Include File Attachments in Burst for v6.3.1
- Include files as email attachments for v6.3.2 and later
- NOTE: The DIGEST_MAX_ATTACHMENTS_SIZE System Variable controls the total attachment size. Ensure that the assigned value does not restrict receiving oversized attachments. The default is 10 MB in bytes.
In addition, it is possible to create a Burst in a way so that the system sends only the files that have been updated since the last email. Note that this option works only for automated (scheduled) Bursting.
1. Configure Data Collection Trigger for Cache Clearing
Cache clearing must be configured for each individual Other External Content created from MS SharePoint that will be used for Bursting.
It is recommended that the Trigger be set to run before the Burst is sent to ensure that the system sends the most recent data.
For example, if the Burst is scheduled for Mondays at 10 AM, the Trigger should run at least at 9:55 AM.
2. Configure a Burst
Access New > Burst
- Input a meaningful Name for the Burst.
- The Name will be used as an email header once notifications are sent.
- Choose Selected Tiles
- Choose MS SharePoint Elements to be included into the Burst and [+ Add selected]
- Define Schedule
- Specify the channel for Bursting
3. [Optionally] Configure Sending Only What's Been Modified
You can configure a Burst to sends only the files that have been updated since the last email.
- On the Customize tab, enable Send only what's been updated since last email
- [Save & Enable]
- After a file has been modified on the SharePoint side, Objects must be recollected in MI to include the updated file in a Burst.
- The "Send only what's been updated since last email" option works only if a Burst is sent on schedule by the system. Clicking [Send Now] will send all content that is included in the Burst.