External Content Overview
This article provides an overview of an External Content object in the Metric Insights system.
External Content is an object that allows to display data located on an external web page. Basically, it is a link to the content of a third-party website. The data is gathered and displayed automatically and it is not possible to apply filters to it or change the data display.
The creation of External Content can be automated. For more information, refer to External Content Auto Synchronization article. After Version 6.3.4 it is also possible to bulk-add External Content instead of creating Elements one by one.
This example is using Excel Workbook as an External Content Type. The configuration of External Content slightly differs for each BI tool. The instructions based on a specific BI tools can be found via the links below:
1. Creating External Content
Access + New > External Content
- Name: Enter a unique name
- Description: Optionally, add a short description that is visible in Viewer
- Apply Markdown to description: Optionally, activate this check box to allow Markdown language to be used in the Description
- External Content Type: Choose an existing External Content Type or create a new one by selecting the "Add New External Content Type" option
- Category: Select a Category to associate with this object
- Put in Folder: Optionally, select a Folder in which the External Content is included
- Tags: Optionally, choose one of existing tags to be applied to the External Content or create a new one. For details refer to: Create a Tag
- External Content URL: Paste the URL of the page where the data is stored
- Show in: Select either the External Content will be shown in the "Viewer" or on "External Webpage"
[Next: Define Details]
1.1. Info Tab
- Include External Content in next scheduled migration: It is possible to flag elements and then Migrate Content using Export/Import Migration Scripts. To review details, see: Scripted Migration via Category and Element Editors
- Visible: Enable the check box in order to make this object visible on Homepage or in Search
- Certified: Certification allows Admins and Power Users to identify elements that have been validated and deemed accurate. For details, refer to: Certifying an Element
1.2. Configuration Tab
Show in: "External Webpage"means that the External Content will be shown on the webpage from which the data was collected. After choosing "Viewer", define additional options:
Display in Viewer: Define what is shown in the Viewer
- "External web page" displays a website page
- "Uploaded image" shows a static image
- "Automatic" means the size of the image is set automatically according to its original size or size set in the Setup Image.
- Alternatively, set a "Fixed height"
- Show collaboration: Enable this check box to allow users to leave comments
- Display in Viewer: Define what is shown in the Viewer
Include files as email attachments: If the External Content is sent as a Burst, this check box enabled means files with data is also included
- This option becomes default in the 6.3.3 release. Before that it is possible to add or remove it in the External Content Type menu
- Reference Image: Choose an image that is used as reference
- [Upload Image File] to upload the image selected in Reference Image field
2. Toolbar Options
- Template: Create a template of the External Content
- Lineage: View the Lineage of the Content. For more details, check Understanding Object Lineage. Note that this option is unavailable for some of the External Content Types
- Search: Search for the data in this object
- Duplicate: Create a duplicate of this External Content
- Delete: Remove this object
[View] to open the Viewer and review the display of this External Content.