Establish Connectivity to MicroStrategy
This article describes the process of creating plugin Data Source to connect to MicroStrategy. This Data Source will allow data from existing MicroStrategy objects to be used in building elements using Metric Insights tools.
- You must have network connectivity access from Metric Insights to your MicroStrategy Intelligence server (default port 34952).
- Microstrategy 10.11.0
- Microstrategy 11.2.0
- Microstrategy 11.3.0
NOTE: Versions outside of this list may be supported but are not actively tested. If you have an older or newer version, please work with email@example.com so that we understand your requirements.
With the release of Version 6.2.1, .conf files are no longer required for advanced configuration in Metric Insights. It is recommended to use the Plugin Config page to adjust parameters and their values. See this article for more details.
1. Create New Data Source
Access Admin > Collection & Storage > Data Sources
- [+ New Data Source]
- Choose "MicroStrategy" from the Other drop-down list
- [Next Step]
2. Provide the Required MicroStrategy Parameters
- Input a descriptive phrase in Data Source name
- Select the required Auth Type
- For Password, use the MicroStrategy account credentials
- For Identity Profile, select the existing Identity Profile
- Specify the URL to MicroStrategy Task API. This is the API Metric Insights uses for accessing MicroStrategy.
- For .NET, the URL is typically https://<hostname>/MicroStrategy/asp/TaskAdmin.aspx.
- For Java, the URL is https://<hostname>/servlet/taskAdmin. As confirmation, you can access this URL via your web browser.
- Input the MicroStrategy Project
- Provide Username and Plugin Password you use to access the Task API Endpoint (Java Web API)
Optionally, toggle on:
Optionally, enable secure connection to WEB API using a certificate by specifying proper SSL port value of MicroStrategy Intelligence server under Optional Parameters > Port (see below)
- Default configuration is 39321
3. Configure Optional Parameters
Values: 1 = Standard (default), 16 = LDAP Authentication, 4 = Database Authentication, 8 = Guest, 2 = Windows Authentication, 64 = Trusted Authentication, 128 = Integrated Authentication.
|2||Current View Media||The Report view can be either an image or table.|
Folder Exclusion List
||List the folders that do not need to be pulled from MSTR. Use comma as a delimiter.|
|4||Exclude Sub-Folders||Specify if you want to exclude sub-folders (true/false).|
|5||Report Image as Grid||MicroStrategy renders Reports as Grid or Chart. The default value is ‘Grid'.|
|6||Object types||The list of object types to use in report listing.
|7||Port||The port used for accessing the MicroStrategy Intelligence Server via the MicroStrategy Java Web API. The default port is 34952. If using a different port, then specify here.|
|8||REST API port||The port used to access REST API endpoints|
|9||Starting folder||The starting (root) folder for your Project. All MicroStrategy documents and reports under this folder will be available.
|10||Server||For Task API, if the server name field is blank, than it's taken from the Task API Endpoint field.|
|11||URL Server||An internal server name where the Report is located.|
|If there is a separate Web Service User to access the Task Admin login page, then provide the credentials here. Obsolete parameters.|
Working with the Starting folder filter requires specifying the full path to the folder in the MicroStrategy hierarchy of folders in a given Project using a backslash "\" as a delimiter.
Folder Path in MicroStrategy UI does not correspond with folder path returned by MicroStrategy API to Metric Insights. Folder structure names to be used for filtering may differ from those you see in the MicroStrategy UI.
To find the correct path, access:
- User menu > Preferences > Project Defaults > Folder Browsing.
See the example below.
In this example, Shared Folder will be returned as Public Objects\Reports and the value for the Starting folder would be Public Objects\Reports\Sales.
- All objects that correspond to the object types set under Object types in MI Optional Plugin Parameters will be fetched into MI.
- If the folder includes sub-folders, all objects from these sub-folders will be pulled in.
- If more than one Project is specified in the Project parameter and multiple folders with the same name exist in these Projects, MI will pull content from all folder and their sub-folders, unless set otherwise in Exclude Sub-Folders parameter.
4. Proceed with Advanced Configuration
Advanced Configuration settings can be set to default values unless Data Source requires more precise tuning. For more details on how to proceed, refer to Advanced Data Source Configuration.
Click [Test Connection] button in the upper right corner