Content Auto Synchronization
As of Version 6.2, Metric Insights includes the ability to Auto Synchronize content with BI tools. This functionality automates creation of External Reports from the BI tool's objects and simplifies the process of updating existing External Reports.
This article describes how to:
The following Plugins are supported for Auto Sync:
- Power BI
- Qlik Sense
- SAP Business Objects
- Tibco Spotfire
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Local Filesystem
The example below shows how to use Auto Sync with Tableau, but all the plugins follow the same steps.
With enabled Content Auto Synchronization, Metric Insights can pull Tableau Workbook names, descriptions, tags, and owners to use with External Reports.
To be able to pull this data, Include metadata under Optional Tableau Parameter must be set to "true".
External Report Name, Description, Tags, and Owners are displayed in MI in the same exact way as they appear in Tableau (shown on the screen below).
[6.2.5] Similarly to Tableau, the system pulls information about folders and sub-folders from TIBCO Spotfire.
1. Enable Auto Synchronization
Access Admin > Collection & Storage > Data Source
To create External Reports from the BI tool system:
- [Enable Content Synchronization] to display the next two fields
- Choose Parent Category where External Reports are synced
- Choose External Report Template
1.1. Mirror Hierarchy Option
This function is only implemented for the following BI tools:
- Qlik Sense
- TIBCO Spotfire
- Enabling Mirror Folder Hierarchy on will automatically create subcategories to mirror the structure in the selected BI tool
- Example of Cognos categories hierarchy in Metric Insights
2. Synchronize Content
In Objects tab:
- [Refresh List & Sync Content] updates the Objects list and creates new External Reports placing them into the Category selected in Info tab
- [Run History] provides data on all previous sync runs
Each new automatically created External Report is named after the object of its origin.