How to link to Other External Content
This article describes creating a new 'External Content' that will be linked from a Metric Insights. If you wish to drill to External content based on dimension values, look at how to set up drill paths for external reports.
NOTE: The format of the External Content Editor is slightly different in earlier versions.
1. Access New > External Content
Metric Insights needs to know a few things about this particular content:
- Name (required)
- Category (optional)
- Folder (optional)
- Tags (optional)
- URL (required) In this case, we'll just use a static web page that we've created for the purpose of this example:
That way, if you're looking at another monthly report that happens to look at some measure, your external content report will also show up to the user as a related report.
Next: define details
2. Update additional fields
- [6.1.0] As of Release 6.1.0, it is possible to flag elements and then Migrate Content using our Export/Import Migration Scripts. Click for details: Scripted Migration via Category and Element Editors
- Certified: Certification is a means for Admin and Power Users to identify elements that have been approved as being valid and accurate. For details refer to: Certifying an Element
- Show in: Select to display your content in either Metric Insights 'Viewer' or on the 'External Webpage'
- Click Upload image file to display pop-up where you can add a Reference Image
3. Choose your Reference image
Take a screenshot of your report and upload it as the preview image. This image should be a .png file and to avoid distortion should have a width to height ratio of 1.8 (in other words, the width is nearly twice the height).
4. Add an icon: Admin > Plugins > External Content Types > List Page
- Select an External Content Type to which an icon is to be added and click the Edit (gear) icon on the rightmost side of the row
- At the Tile icon setting, [Upload Image} to import a file containing the desired icon
- The file name appears to the left of the button
5. Verify the new external content
Now that it's enabled, make sure the new external content tile is available on the Homepage. Double clicking the tile should take you to the URL you expect.
- See the icon on the Other External Content report when the type is "Video"